Christopher Sean Friel
October 25, 1985
Oak Harbor, Washington, U.S.
|Title||Mr. Asia USA (2007)|
Christopher Sean (born October 25, 1985) is an American actor known for his role as Paul Narita on the NBC soap opera Days of Our Lives. He previously played Bing Lee in the critically acclaimed web series The Lizzie Bennet Diaries and his recurring role of Gabriel Waincroft on CBS's Hawaii Five-0.
Sean was born Christopher Sean Friel on October 25, 1985, in Oak Harbor, Washington, to Sayuri and Patrick Friel. He has two sisters, Candis and Melody. While his family moved around a lot, Sean grew up mainly in Southern California. Sean is Japanese on his mother's side and Irish, Spanish and German on his father's side.
Sean grew up in the military because his father was in the Navy. When his father Patrick was stationed away from home, he would put himself on video reading books to Christopher and his sisters and their mother would send recordings of her children to her husband. Sean explained that he was always very comfortable in front of the camera and those experiences inspired him to get into acting. Growing up, Sean had a big poster of Bruce Lee on his wall and admits there weren't many people for him to relate to in the entertainment industry. Sean speaks Japanese, which he picked up from his parents when his father was assigned to the USS Tripoli. Sean is trained in boxing, Taekwondo, wrestling, Jujutsu and mixed martial arts.
Sean said that he was working at Six Flags Hurricane Harbor in Valencia, California when he was first "discovered." He started doing modeling work, and in 2007 he won the Mr. Asia USA pageant. Sean earned a $1,500 cash prize and a one-year acting class at the Michael John Studio in Van Nuys, California.
Sean revealed that he struggled early on his career due to his mixed ethnicity, saying "I'm not Asian enough to play Asian roles and I'm not white enough to play white roles." He auditioned for ABC's daytime soap opera General Hospital, where he admitted to screwing up the audition due to his lack of experience. Sean has made appearances on Hollywood Heights, The Mindy Project, and the web series The Lizzie Bennet Diaries. In 2014, he began playing the recurring role of Gabriel Waincroft on CBS's Hawaii Five-0.
In October 2014, it was announced that Sean had joined the cast of Days of Our Lives as a contract cast member. His character, pro baseball player Paul Narita, comes out as gay and becomes involved in a love triangle with supercouple Will Horton and Sonny Kiriakis, and is the illegitimate son of longtime character John Black.
|2010||The Bold and the Beautiful||Waiter||2 episodes|
|2010||King Eternal||Kele||Short film|
|2012||Hollywood Heights||Solo dude #1||2 episodes|
|2012||Back to Blue||Chris||Short film|
|2012–2013||The Lizzie Bennet Diaries||Bing Lee||Main role; Web series|
|2013||Twiharder||JB Lycan||Lead role; parody of 2008 film Twilight|
|2013||The Mindy Project||Frat Bro #2||Episode: "Frat Party"|
|2013||Great American Dream||Frates||Film|
|2014||Progress: Ask a Cam Harlot||Chance Von Thundermast||2 episodes|
|2014||CineDopes||Yoga Student #3||Episode: "Ratinee"|
|2014–2016||Hawaii Five-0||Gabriel Waincroft||Recurring role; 13 episodes|
|2014–2018||Days of Our Lives||Paul Narita||Series regular|
|2018–present||Star Wars Resistance||Kazuda Xiono||Voice|
- Di Lauro, Janet. "Profile of Christopher Sean Days of our Lives". About.com. IAC. Retrieved May 16, 2016.
- Madison, Ira (March 27, 2015). "The Actor Who Is Changing How We See Asian Men On Television". BuzzFeed. BuzzFeed Inc. Retrieved March 30, 2015.
- Clifford, Kambra (February 20, 2015). "DAYS' Christopher Sean speculates on PaulSon's future and which major character could be Paul's dad". Soap Central. Retrieved March 13, 2015.
- Christopher Sean [@ChristopherSean] (September 10, 2012). "half Japanese and half Irish German Spanish" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Larson, Kelli M; Moro Parkerton, Michelle (January 26, 2015). "The Rookie". Bonus Section. CBS Soaps In Depth. Bauer Media Group. 19 (4): 82–85.
- Carnay, Olvier (April 13, 2007). "Chris Friel wins first star-studded Mr. Asia USA 2007 pageant". Hollywoodflip.com.
- "Hottest Newcomers of 2015". Days of Our Lives: Christopher Sean (Paul). Soap Opera Digest. American Media, Inc. 40 (41): 60. October 12, 2015.
- "Christopher Sean Joins Days of our Lives as Baseball Player Paul Narita on November 7". Serial Scoop. October 6, 2014. Retrieved March 13, 2015.
- Burbridge, Wendie (June 7, 2014). "Five-0 Redux: Sean a big hit as bad brother". Honolulu PulseHonolulu Pulse. Archived from the original on June 8, 2014. Retrieved May 17, 2016.
- Lewis, Errol (October 31, 2014). "Christopher Sean Joins DAYS Cast". Soap Opera Network. Retrieved March 13, 2015.
- Madison, Ira (February 5, 2015). "A Groundbreaking Coming-Out Story Was Told Entirely In Japanese On Days Of Our Lives". BuzzFeed. Retrieved March 14, 2015.
- Giddens, Jamey (December 31, 2014). "Which One of Salem's Gay Husbands Will Offer to Catch Paul's Fly Balls on Days of Our Lives?". Daytime Confidential. Zap2it. Retrieved March 13, 2015.
- Logan, Michael (March 30, 2015). "Exclusive: Drake Hogestyn Previews His Days of Our Lives Bombshell". TV Insider. TVGM Holdings, LLC. Retrieved March 30, 2015.
- Waldron, Robert (June 22, 2015). "Family Expansion". Soap Opera Digest. American Media, Inc. 40 (25): 38–41, 66–67.
- Goldberg, Lesley (April 26, 2018). "Star Wars Resistance Animated Series Set at Disney Channel". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on May 20, 2018. Retrieved May 20, 2018.
- Breznican, Anthony (August 17, 2018). "Watch the soaring new trailer for the Star Wars: Resistance animated series". Entertainment Weekly. Archived from the original on August 17, 2018. Retrieved August 18, 2018.