This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Christopher Shy, who occasionally goes by the pen name "Ronin,":374 is a freelance fantasy and science fiction artist.
In 1994, Shy created Studio Ronin to highlight his dark and moody photorealistic art.:374 With George Vasilakos, Shy conceived of the zombie RPG All Flesh Must Be Eaten (2000).:341 In 2003, Shy joined forces with author Philip J. Reed to create the company Ronin Arts.:374
His work includes character portraits for White Wolf's Mage: the Ascension revised edition and Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness, a graphic novel written by Claudio Sanchez. He is also the founder of Studio Ronin and the co-founder of Ronin Arts.
In 2007 Shy and Studio Ronin released Silent Leaves The Last Bondsmen followed by Silent Leaves Exceptions To Life, The first two installments of a four-part graphic novel series written and drawn by Shy. He also illustrated Soul Stealer with Michael Easton followed by Soul Stealer: Blood and Rain in 2009.
In 2008 Shy was the conceptual designer for the remake of Friday The 13th directed by Marcus Nispel. This marks Shy's second film with the director, Pathfinder being the first.
In a review of Ascend, Publishers Weekly opined that "Shy's artwork for this quasi-religious melodrama is state of the art and then some". In its review of Pathfinder, Booklist wrote that "Shy's artwork adds a dreamlike quality to Kalogridis' telling, blurring the symbolism and tempering the violence by veiling the details in a dark, smoky palette." His art for Pathfinder was described as "amazing" by critic Derrik Quenzer in The Oregonian.
- Ascend (with Keith Arem, Image Comics, 120 pages, paperback, ISBN 1-58240-430-5, hardcover, ISBN 1-60010-138-0, 2005, Special Edition, IDW Publishing, 200 pages, paperback, ISBN 1-60010-137-2, hardcover, ISBN 1-58240-518-2, 2008)
- Shannon Appelcline (2011). Designers & Dragons. Mongoose Publishing. ISBN 978-1-907702-58-7.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-01-17. Retrieved 2007-03-08.
- Knight, Chris (April 14, 2007). "Native-Viking clash entirely visceral", Times Colonist, p. D12.
- McTavish, Brian (May 12, 2007). "Comic books bridging the gap: Graphic novels feeding film fans' interests", Calgary Herald, p. C8.
- Ascend-ing with Christopher Shy Archived 2004-12-28 at the Wayback Machine., Newsarama, November 23, 2004
- Metaphor.tv. "The Official Ascend™ Website". www.preparetoascend.com.
- "'Call of Duty 2' Game Director Takes on 'Frost Road' Feature - Bloody Disgusting". www.bloody-disgusting.com.
- Fernandez, Jay A. (December 1, 2009). "Keith Arem to direct 'Frost Road'", The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 17, 2014.
- Miller, Greg (October 22, 2012). "Earn XP in God of War: Ascension Today". IGN. Ziff Davis Media. Archived from the original on December 10, 2012. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- (March 21, 2005). "Ascend", Publishers Weekly 252 (12): 38.
- Coleman, Tina (November 1, 2006). "Pathfinder: An American Saga", Booklist 103 (5): 42.
- Quenzer, Derrik (September 8, 2006). "Comi-X! Hollywood meets comic books", The Oregonian, p. 44.
- Keith Arem on Ascend: Special Edition Archived 2010-01-07 at the Wayback Machine., Newsarama, November 21, 2007