Christopher W. Johnson
|Born||Christopher William Johnson
15 April 1965
|Known for||cyber security, safety critical systems|
|Institutions||University of Glasgow|
|Thesis||A Principled Approach to the Integration of Human Factors and Systems Engineering for Interactive Control System Design (1992)|
Education and early life
Career and research
He supported the United Nations in improving the cyber security of Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear facilities (CBRN). Johnson designed the cyber incident reporting processes under Article 13a of the Framework Directive (2009/140/EC) and Article 4 of the e-Privacy directive (2002/58/EC) on behalf of the European Network and Information Security Agency (ENISA). Prior to that he helped develop European guidelines for contingency planning in aviation for EUROCONTROL  and accident investigation for the European Railway Agency.
Johnson has held fellowships from NASA (Langley Research Centre and Johnson Space Centre) and the US Air Force. He also supports safety and cyber security in the US Navy and the Federal Aviation Administration.
In 2016, Johnson was elected to the UK Computing Research Committee. He was also appointed to the EPSRC Strategic Advisory Team. Since 2014, he has been a member of the Scottish Government's Public Sector Cyber Resilience group. He helps to lead the Scottish Universities Computing Science Alliance (SICSA) in cyber security.
Previously, Johnson chaired the scientific advisory board to the EC SESAR programme for the modernisation of Air Traffic Management. In 2017, he helped deliver the UK Department for Transport review of Cyber Security across the UK aviation industry and was the only academic invited to present at the UN/ICAO first summit of cyber security in aviation.
- Christopher W. Johnson publications indexed by Google Scholar
- University of Glasgow
- Johnson, Christopher William (1985). A Principled Approach to the Integration of Human Factors and Systems Engineering for Interactive Control System Design (PhD thesis). University of York.
- Home page
- Johnson, C.W. (2016), "Why We Cannot (Yet) Ensure the Cybersecurity of Safety-Critical Systems" (PDF), in M., Parsons; Anderson, T, Developing Safe Systems: Proceedings of the 24th Safety-Critical Systyems Symposium, Brighton, UK 2-4 Feb 2016, Newcastle: SCSC, ISBN 9781519420077
- Johnson, C.W. (2015), "Barriers to the Use of Intrusion Detection Systems in Safety-Critical Applications" (PDF), in F., Koorneef; van Gulijk, C., SAFECOMP 2015, LNCS 9337, Heidelberg, Germany: Springer Verlag, pp. 400–409, ISBN 978-3-319-24254-5
- Johnson, C.W. (2003). A Handbook of Accident and Incident Reporting (PDF). Glasgow: Glasgow University Press. ISBN 0-85261-784-4.
- "SESAR Scientific Committee".
|P ≟ NP||This biographical article relating to a computer scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article on a computer specialist of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|