Christopher William Smith
|Born||Christopher William Smith
January 28, 1980
|Residence||Federal Correctional Complex, Allenwood|
Christopher William Smith ("Rizler") (born January 28, 1980) was a prolific e-mail spammer, and sold drugs online from his illegal Xpress Pharmacy Direct in Burnsville, Minnesota, United States. He is currently serving a 30 year prison sentence.
Smith grew up in the Minneapolis-Saint Paul area, splitting his time between his father's house on Lake Minnetonka and his mother's house in Burnsville. He attended high school at the Academy of Holy Angels and later transferred to a public school in Lakeville, but never completed high school.
Business and conviction
He was charged in August 2005 with conspiracy to distribute controlled substances, wire fraud, selling misbranded drugs and money laundering. Federal officials added a count of operating a continuing criminal enterprise in a revised indictment filed in May 2006. During his final year in business he earned $18 million and had an 85-employee company. In addition, he violated court order by leaving the country and withdrawing frozen assets. After having his bail revoked, he then plotted to kill a witness, which was recorded by the jail phone system.
In October 2006, Dr. Phillip Mach, who wrote the prescriptions for Smith's customers, plead guilty on one count of conspiracy to distribute and dispense controlled substances, four counts of wire fraud, three counts of unlawful distribution and dispensing of a controlled substance, and five counts of introducing misbranded drugs into interstate commerce.
In November 2006, Smith was convicted on nine counts by a federal jury in Minneapolis. On August 1, 2007 he was sentenced to 30 years in prison for charges including plotting to have a witness in his case killed.
According to the Federal Bureau of Prisons, Smith (ID # 12310-041) was housed at the Federal Correctional Institution, Phoenix, but as of 2012 was moved to United States Penitentiary, Canaan and his projected release date is July 31, 2023. As of August 17, 2014 Smith was incarcerated at the Federal Correctional Complex, Allenwood in White Deer, PA, but has since been moved to Federal Correctional Complex, Terre Haute Release Date: 02/03/2024.
- "Feds: Spamming made millions for dropout". Associated Press. September 12, 2005. Retrieved 2009-07-18.
- Warren Wolfe. "A web of trouble", Minneapolis Star Tribune, June 5, 2005
- "Spammer gets 30 years in the slammer". The Register. 2 August 2007. Retrieved 2009-07-18.
- "AOL Wins Judgment Against Spammer". New York Times. January 28, 2006. Retrieved 2009-07-18.
- "New Jersey doctor in Xpress Pharmacy Direct case pleads guilty". Prior Lake American. October 30, 2006. Retrieved 2009-07-18.
- "Pharmacy spam king given 30-year jail sentence". SC Magazine. 2 August 2007. Retrieved 2009-07-18.
- Dan Browning. "Internet drug seller gets 30-year sentence", Minneapolis Star Tribune, August 1, 2007
- "Christopher William Smith". Federal Bureau of Prisons. 2012. Retrieved 2012-01-17.