Christopher Wilmarth (1943 - November 19, 1987) was an American sculptor.
In 1973, Wilmarth began a series of sculptures titled Nine Clearings for a Standing Man. Each work consisted of a sheet of subtly bent steel behind s sheet of etched glass. No. 2 from this series, in the collection of the Honolulu Museum of Art, demonstrates his mastery of minimalism in sculpture. The Art Institute of Chicago, the Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh, the Dallas Museum of Art, the Des Moines Art Center, the Fogg Museum (Cambridge), the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden (Washington, DC), the Honolulu Museum of Art, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Museum of Modern Art (New York City), the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Saint Louis Art Museum, the Wadsworth Atheneum (Hartford, Connecticut), the Walker Art Center (Minneapolis, Minnesota), and the Whitney Museum of American Art (New York City) are among the public collections holding work by Christopher Wilmarth.
On November 19, 1987, Wilmarth hanged himself at the age of forty-four.
- Madoff, Steven Henry, Christopher Wilmarth: Light and Gravity, Princeton University Press, 2004 ISBN 0691113599
- Rosenstock, Laura, Christopher Wilmarth, Museum of Modern Art, 1989
- Saywell, Edward, Christopher Wilmarth: Drawing into Sculpture, Harvard Art Museums, 2003 ISBN 0300098979
- Wilmarth, Christopher, Christopher Wilmarth: Layers, Works from 1961-1984, Hirshl & Adler Modern, 1984
- Wilmarth, Christopher, Christopher Wilmarth: Inside Out, Robert Miller Gallery, 2003 ISBN 0944680704
- Wilmarth, Christopher, Christopher Wilmarth: Breath, Privately Published, USA, 1982 ISBN 0960721800
- Wilmarth, Christopher, Christopher Wilmarth: Sculpture and Painting from the 1960s and 1980s, Sidney Janis Gallery, 1997
- Betty Cunungham Gallery, New York City
- Honolulu Museum of Art, wall label, Clearing for a Standing Man No. 2, accession 5501.1
- Robert D. McFadden, Robert D. "Christopher Wilmarth, 44, Dies; Sculptor Is an Apparent Suicide", New York Times, November 20, 1987
- McFadden, Robert D. (November 20, 1987). "Christopher Wilmarth, 44, Dies; Sculptor Is an Apparent Suicide". The New York Times.