August 16, 1949
|Thesis||The Complexity of Combinatorial Optimization Problems (1972)|
|Doctoral advisor||Kenneth Steiglitz|
Christos Harilaos Papadimitriou (Greek: Χρήστος Χαρίλαος Παπαδημητρίου; born August 16, 1949) is a Greek theoretical computer scientist, and professor of Computer Science at Columbia University.
Papadimitriou studied at the National Technical University of Athens, where in 1972 he received his Bachelor of Arts degree in Electrical Engineering. He continued to study at Princeton University, where he received his MS in Electrical Engineering in 1974 and his PhD in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science in 1976.
Papadimitriou has taught at Harvard, MIT, the National Technical University of Athens, Stanford, UCSD, University of California, Berkeley and is currently the Donovan Family Professor of Computer Science at Columbia University.
Papadimitriou co-authored a paper on pancake sorting with Bill Gates, then a Harvard undergraduate. Papadimitriou recalled "Two years later, I called to tell him our paper had been accepted to a fine math journal. He sounded eminently disinterested. He had moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico to run a small company writing code for microprocessors, of all things. I remember thinking: 'Such a brilliant kid. What a waste.'" The company was Microsoft.
Papadimitriou co-authored "The Complexity of Computing a Nash Equilibrium" with his students Constantinos Daskalakis and Paul W. Goldberg, for which they received the 2008 Kalai Game Theory and Computer Science Prize from the Game Theory Society for "the best paper at the interface of game theory and computer science", in particular "for its key conceptual and technical contributions"; and the Outstanding Paper Prize from the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics.
In 2001, Papadimitriou was inducted as a Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery and in 2002 he was awarded the Knuth Prize. He became fellow of the U.S. National Academy of Engineering for contributions to complexity theory, database theory, and combinatorial optimization. In 2009 he was elected to the US National Academy of Sciences. During the 36th International Colloquium on Automata, Languages and Programming (ICALP 2009), there was a special event honoring Papadimitriou's contributions to computer science. In 2012, he, along with Elias Koutsoupias, was awarded the Gödel Prize for their joint work on the concept of the price of anarchy.
Papadimitriou is the author of the textbook Computational Complexity, one of the most widely used textbooks in the field of computational complexity theory. He has also co-authored the textbook Algorithms (2008) with Sanjoy Dasgupta and Umesh Vazirani, and the graphic novel Logicomix (2009) with Apostolos Doxiadis.
Honors and awards
Papadimitriou was awarded the IEEE John von Neumann Medal in 2016, the EATCS Award in 2015, the Gödel Prize in 2012, the IEEE Computer Society Charles Babbage Award in 2004, and the Knuth Prize in 2002. In 2019 he received the Harvey Prize of the Technion/Israel for the year 2018.
- Elements of the Theory of Computation (with Harry R. Lewis). Prentice-Hall, 1982; second edition September 1997. greek edition
- Combinatorial Optimization: Algorithms and Complexity (with Kenneth Steiglitz). Prentice-Hall, 1982; second edition, Dover, 1998.
- The Theory of Database Concurrency Control. CS Press, 1986.
- Computational Complexity. Addison Wesley, 1994.
- Turing (a Novel about Computation). MIT Press, November 2003.
- Life Sentence to Hackers? (in Greek). Kastaniotis Editions, 2004. A compilation of articles written for the Greek newspaper To Vima.
- Algorithms (coauthored with Sanjoy Dasgupta and Umesh Vazirani). McGraw-Hill, September 2008
- Logicomix, An Epic Search for Truth (coauthored with Apostolos Doxiadis, with artwork by Alecos Papadatos and Annie di Donna). Bloomsbury Publishing and Bloomsbury USA, September 2009.
- He co-authored a paper with Bill Gates, co-founder of Microsoft, on pancake sorting.
At UC Berkeley, in 2006, he joined a professor-and-graduate-student band called Lady X and The Positive Eigenvalues.
- Christos Papadimitriou publications indexed by Google Scholar
- "Columbia Faculty". Retrieved 2017-08-05.
- Christos Papadimitriou at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Christos Papadimitriou author profile page at the ACM Digital Library
- Ahmed, F (2014). "Profile of Christos Papadimitriou". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 111 (45): 15858–60. Bibcode:2014PNAS..11115858A. doi:10.1073/pnas.1405579111. PMC 4234580. PMID 25349396.
- Christos H. Papadimitriou at DBLP Bibliography Server
- Christos Papadimitriou's publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database. (subscription required)
- "People of ACM — Christos Papadimitriou". People of ACM. Retrieved 2019-10-10.
- "Game Theory Society: Named Lectures and Prizes". www.gametheorysociety.org. Retrieved 2020-01-19.
- "Prize in Game Theory and Computer Science of the Game Theory Society (2008)" (PDF). Retrieved 2020-01-19.
- "Member Directory at NAE Website". Retrieved 2017-07-22.
- "Special Events: Honoring Christos Papadimitriou Scientific Contribution to Computer Science". ICALP 2009 – 36th International Colloquium on Automata, Languages and Programming. Archived from the original on March 6, 2012.
- "Three Papers Cited for Laying Foundation of Growth in Algorithmic Game Theory". 16 May 2012. Archived from the original on 18 July 2013. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- "Honorary Doctorates, Department of Computer Science". Retrieved 2017-07-22.
- "Live feed from the Award Ceremony of an honorary doctorate from the NTUA to the UC Berkeley Professor Chr. Papadimitriou". Archived from the original on 2016-03-03. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- Harvey Prize 2018
- Gates, William H.; Papadimitriou, Christos H. (1979). "Bounds for sorting by prefix reversal". Discrete Mathematics. 27: 47–57. doi:10.1016/0012-365X(79)90068-2.
- "Engineers rock — Out of the EECS department comes a hot new band". Archived from the original on May 31, 2013. Retrieved 2013-12-29.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Christos Papadimitriou.|