Chronicle of a Blood Merchant (film)
|Chronicle of a Blood Merchant|
|Directed by||Ha Jung-woo|
|Produced by||Ahn Dong-kyu
|Written by||Kim Ju-ho
|Based on||Chronicle of a Blood Merchant
by Yu Hua
|Music by||Kim Jeong-beom|
|Edited by||Kim Sang-bum
|Distributed by||Next Entertainment World|
|Box office||US$6.8 million|
Chronicle of a Blood Merchant (Hangul: 허삼관; RR: Heosamgwan) is a 2015 South Korean film adaptation of the bestselling 1995 Chinese novel of the same title by Yu Hua. The film, set in 1950s Korea, was co-written and directed by Ha Jung-woo, and he also starred alongside Ha Ji-won.
Set in a village right after the Korean War, poor but good-hearted Heo Sam-gwan sets out to win the most beautiful girl in the village, Heo Ok-ran, by selling his blood to earn money. Years later, the two are happily married with three children, but their family undergoes a crisis when Sam-gwan's eldest son doesn't resemble him and rumors spread about the boy's paternity.
- Ha Jung-woo as Heo Sam-gwan
- Ha Ji-won as Heo Ok-ran
- Nam Da-reum as Heo Il-rak
- Noh Kang-min as Heo Yi-rak
- Cheon Hyeon-seok as Heo Sam-rak
- Jeon Hye-jin as Ms. Song
- Jang Gwang as Mr. Choi
- Min Moo-je as Ha So-yong
- Joo Jin-mo as Uncle
- Sung Dong-il as Mr. Bang
- Jung Man-sik as Mr. Shim
- Cho Jin-woong as Mr. Ahn
- Kim Sung-kyun as Geun-ryong
- Kim Jae-young as Mr. Jo
- Lee Ji-hoon as Mr. Gye
- Kim Young-ae as Gye-hwa's mother
- Lee Geung-young as Ok-ran's father
- Kim Byung-ok
- Jung Ui-kap as Ascetic Moon
- Choi Kyu-hwan as Postman
- Kim Gi-cheon as Elder Dae-ji
- Min Kyeong-jin as Elder Jang-ki
- Jo Seon-mook as Restaurant owner
- Hwang Bo-ra as Gye-hwa
- Lee Seung-joon as Dongdaemun Jeil hospital security guard 1
- Yoon Eun-hye as Im Boon-bang (cameo)
The film opened on January 15, 2015, placing fourth at the South Korean box office. It grossed ₩4.59 billion (US$4.26 million) from 582,000 admissions in its first five days. At the end of its theatrical run, it had a total gross of ₩7,405,659,269 from 955,206 admissions.
- Baek, Byung-yeul (2 January 2015). "Actor Ha back with film adaptation of Chinese novel". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2015-01-17.
- Ahn, Sung-mi (14 January 2015). "Herald Interview: Mastering both sides of the camera". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2015-01-17.
- Kim, Hyo-eun; Jin, Eun-soo (27 January 2015). "Ha shows his versatility in Chronicle". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2015-02-05.
- Ahn, Sung-mi (22 January 2015). "Herald Interview: Ha Ji-won still seeking action". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2015-01-23.
- Cremin, Stephen (12 July 2013). "Ha Jung-woo to direct Blood Merchant". Film Business Asia. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- Lee, Claire (17 July 2013). "Ha Jung-woo to direct film adaptation of Chinese novel". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- Kim, Hee-eun (5 February 2014). "Ha Jung-woo directs again". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- Conran, Pierce (6 February 2014). "HA Ji-won Joins HA Jung-woo's 2nd Directorial Outing: CHRONICLE A OF BLOOD MERCHANT Shoots for Late 2014 Release". Korean Film Biz Zone. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- Frater, Patrick (24 April 2014). "Cannes: Korea's Ha Jung-woo to Direct, Star in Blood Merchant". Variety. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- Lee, Hwa-jung (29 September 2013). "Korean Film Guide to BIFF 2013: Star HA Jung-woo Jack of All Trades". Korean Cinema Today. Retrieved 2014-10-09.
- Kim, Hee-eun (29 May 2014). "Yoon cast in tale of blood merchant". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- Ma, Kevin (19 January 2015). "CJ's Ode and Forecast lead Korea box office". Film Business Asia. Retrieved 2015-01-19.
- Official website (in Korean)
- Chronicle of a Blood Merchant at the Korean Movie Database
- Chronicle of a Blood Merchant on Internet Movie Database
- Chronicle of a Blood Merchant at HanCinema
|This South Korean film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|