Chub (gay slang)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A chub is an overweight or obese gay man who identifies as being part of the chubby culture. Although there is some overlap between chubs and bears, chubs have their own distinct subculture and community. There are bars, organizations and social events specifically catering to this subculture, which allows members of the community to socialize with each other and develop social networks.
In the last several years, large regional social events for gay chubs have developed. They often feature pageants in which titles are given to winners, such as "Mr. Chubby International" and "Mr. Chaser International". In the United States, there is an annual national event, Convergence (ABC convention), as well as several annual regional gatherings. There is also an annual event in Europe called European Big Men's Convergence. These events are held in different cities each year and are usually hosted by that city's local big men's organization. Japan has also had a large but relatively silent chub community, with Samson (magazine) being one of the oldest forms of Japanese media which focuses on Gay Chubs.
These definitions are general in nature; specific definitions may vary depending on the perspective of the individual.
- Chubby or chub – a large, overweight, or obese man
- Superchub – a chub who is extremely large
- Bear – a man with a stocky or heavyset build; typically hairy body and facial hair; sometimes older (or older looking) and displaying a masculine appearance and mannerisms
- Chubby bear – a bear who is particularly large; this term has risen in use as the term "bear" has become more mainstream and broadened to include smaller men
- Chaser – someone who is sexually or romantically attracted to chubs or bears, but himself has a small body type. The term chaser is sometimes used in various communities to describe an outsider who is sexually attracted to people within the community
- Chub for chub (also referenced as chub4chub, internet shorthand) – a chub who is sexually or emotionally attracted to other chubby men
- Girth & Mirth – a formerly widespread name for clubs of big men and their admirers
- Big Men's Club – another term used to define clubs and organizations for gay and bisexual men and their male admirers
- BeefyFrat – was a popular gainer/feeder social network, it folded sometime around 2014 - having been abandoned by its creator
(The term chubby chaser can also be found in use among heterosexuals)
The Chub subculture is often found to overlap with the Bear subculture. Though there is no strict terminology which differentiates between the two groups, it may be noted that most Bears also associate themselves as Chubs, though Chubs may not necessarily associate themselves with the Bear subculture.
While casual social networks for chubby men and chasers had long existed, the first organized social group in the United States, Girth & Mirth, formed in 1976 in San Francisco. The following year, a chapter was organized in Boston, and in 1978 the New York chapter started. Conventions were held in cities such as San Francisco, Chicago, and New York City as early as 1977 or 1978 with large numbers of chubbies and chasers attending. Formally organized Convergence conventions in the United States were first held in Seattle in 1986. Several chapters are now active across the United States, mostly in large and diverse cities.
- "Fat Gay Men: Girth, Mirth and the Politics of Stigma" by Jason Whitesel 
- Blank, Hanne (2000). Big Big Love: A Sourcebook on Sex for People of Size and Those Who Love Them. Greenery Press. ISBN 1890159166.
- Lukach, @lucheezy, By Adam. "A brief lesson in LGBT identifiers". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved 2019-09-26.
- Suresha, Ron Jackson (2002). Bears On Bears: Interviews & Discussions. Alyson Publications. ISBN 1-55583-578-3