|Subsidiary of UTC|
|Industry||Fire and Security|
|Headquarters||Middlesex, United Kingdom|
|Parent||United Technologies Corporation|
Chubb Fire & Security is a British, American owned fire and security business. It is owned by American company United Technologies Corporation.
The company was founded by Charles and Jeremiah Chubb, who patented their Chubb detector lock in 1818. The company won a government competition for a lock which could not be opened other than by its own key.
In 1835, the company produced its first Chubb safe at its factory in Wolverhampton and, in the second half of the 19th century, the company expanded into the United States, and produced a time lock that was fitted to bank vaults across the country. In the 1800s, Chubb gained some important customers such as the Duke of Wellington and the Bank of England.
Over the next one hundred years, the company turned out more than 2.5m locks. After World War II, Chubb expanded its operations in 17 countries. From being a single company manufacturing specialized security products it turned into a broad based group of companies covering not only many aspects of security but fire protection as well.
The company went on to acquire a number of rival firms including Chatwood-Milner Ltd. (1958), Burgot Alarms Ltd and Rely-a-Bell (1962), Read and Campbell Limited (1964), Josiah Parkes and Sons Ltd. (1965) and The Pyrene Company Limited (1967). It was bought by Racal Electronics in August 1984, from which it was demerged in September 1992, before being acquired by Williams Holdings in February 1997. as the latter company sought to build a security focused conglomerate. Chubb was again demerged in July 2000.
In August 2000, Chubb sold Chubb Locks, its lock and safe making unit, to Assa Abloy, and concentrated on security systems such as door access and CCTV systems. In May 2002, Chubb held intensive acquisitions talks with Sweden-based Securitas AB, the world's biggest security services business. After 18 months of negotiations, the talks were called off on the grounds that the deal would not be "financially attractive" to either company's shareholders.
In April 2003, Chubb was acquired for £622m by United Technologies Corporation. In March 2007, UTC bought Initial Fire and Security, the security arm of Rentokil Initial and proceeded to merge the business and its assets with Chubb in UTC Climate, Controls & Security. In December 2013, Chubb's Australian cash in transit business was sold to Prosegur.
Chubb subsidiaries around the world now form an important part of the UTC Climate, Controls & Security Division.
In popular culture
- A reference to Chubb is made by fictional characters in the British television series Only Fools and Horses (Season 3, Episode 1) "Homesick." Derek Edward Trotter (Del Boy), while departing from his home in Peckham, comments to his Brother "...I don't know what time I'm gonna be back, but don't put the Chubb [door lock] on alright?"
- Chubb Fire
- Chubb Locks
- Read and Campbell Limited
- Minimax Limited
- Rampart Engineering
- The Pyrene Company Limited
- A Gazetteer of Lock and Key Makers, A Gazetteer of Lock and Key Makers
- COMPANIES & FINANCE UK & IRELAND: Chubb's safe blown wide open but will there be anything left inside?[permanent dead link], Financial Times, Apr 23, 2003
- The History of Chubb Locks Custodial Services Archived 2008-09-08 at the Wayback Machine., Chubb Locks Custodial
- "Early Sales/Offices/ChubbGroup/1980s & on". Chubbarchive.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk. Archived from the original on 2012-07-09. Retrieved 2011-12-21.
- Williams of Britain to buy Chubb Security New York Times, 15 February 1997
- Troubled Chubb agrees £622m UTC takeover, The Independent
- Securitas halts Chubb merger, BBC News Online
- Chubb slips as Securitas calls off acquisition talks, Telegraph.co.uk
- United Technologies of US is in talks on £1bn takeover of Chubb[permanent dead link], Financial Times, Apr 21, 2003
- Prosegur Compania de Seguridad SA through subsidiary acquires Chubb Security Services Pty Limited, Reuters, Dec 16, 2013
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chubb Security.|