Charles Heaton Jr.
August 22, 1917
Yonkers, New York, U.S.
|Died||February 14, 2008 (aged 90)|
Westlake, Ohio, U.S.
|Education||Bachelor of Arts, Journalism|
|Alma mater||John Carroll University|
|Occupation||Sportswriter, columnist, author, TV sports commentator|
(m. 1949; died 1971)
|Children||5; including Patricia Heaton|
Charles "Chuck" Heaton Jr. (August 22, 1917 – February 14, 2008) was an American sports news columnist, journalist, commentator, and reporter.
He worked for 50 years as a sportswriter for The Cleveland Plain Dealer in Cleveland, Ohio. He was the father of actress Patricia Heaton of Everybody Loves Raymond and The Middle. He was also the father of Michael Heaton, who is a writer and movie critic for the Cleveland Plain Dealer and has served for 30 years as the newspaper's "Minister of Culture." Michael is the author of four books, and is the screenwriter for Hallmark's movie, The Christmas Heart.
Among the many awards he received during his career was the 1980 Dick McCann Memorial Award, given by the Pro Football Writers Association for distinguished reporting. After his death from pneumonia at the age of 90, the Press Club in Cleveland established the annual Chuck Heaton Award, given to a print, radio, online or television journalist "who best exemplifies the sensitivity and humility that, along with his journalism heart, were traits exhibited by Chuck Heaton during his exemplary career as a sports writer at The Plain Dealer".
- A Fond Look Back At Five Decades of Football from a Legendary Cleveland Sportswriter, by Chuck Heaton, ISBN 978-1-59851-043-0, Gray & Co., Publishing, 2007.
- The Cleveland Browns: Power and Glory, ISBN 0-13-136754-4, Prentice-Hall Publishing, 1974.
- Starkey, Mike (February 15, 2008). "Chuck Heaton a voice we will never forget". Cleveland Plain Dealer.
- "Chuck Heaton bio at Grayco.com". Archived from the original on 2015-09-24. Retrieved 2011-10-30.
- Chibik, Robert (February 14, 2008). "Longtime Plain Dealer sports reporter Chuck Heaton passes away". Cleveland.com.
- "The Chuck Heaton Award". The Press Club of Cleveland.