Chuck Klein (author)
Charles Henle Klein, Jr.
March 20, 1942
|Education||Bachelor of Laws, Blackstone School of Law, 1972|
Charles Henle "Chuck" Klein, Jr. (born March 20, 1942), is an American author, best known for writing about police ethics, the technique of instinct combat shooting, and hot rods. He is also a firearms instructor, a former law enforcement officer and a retired private investigator.
In 1957, at age 15, Klein converted a 1952 Crosley to a sports car using an Almquist Saber Fiberglas body.
Klein was a police officer in Ohio from 1968 to 1975 and later as a Reserve officer in Indiana. He is a National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor in five disciplines and is a former staff instructor for Tactical Defense Institute.
From 1979 to 2004, Chuck Klein was licensed as a private detective in Indiana and then Ohio. After moving back to Ohio in 1994, Klein was the lead plaintiff in the Ohio Supreme Court case, Klein v. Leis. He wrote Guns in the WorkPlace, A Manual for Private Sector Employers and Employees as a result of the Klein v. Leis case.
In 1992, Klein wrote "America Is Beautiful", which was read into the U.S. Congressional Record. He wrote Lines of Defense, Police Ideology and the Constitution in 2000 to raise awareness for law enforcement officers of their constitutional obligations. In 2004, Klein wrote about instinct shooting in his book, Instinct Combat Shooting, Defensive Handgunning for Police as a result of studying police training methods. Klein is also known for writing The Badge, Stories and Tales from Both Sides of the Law and the autobiographical novel Circa 1957.
- "America is Beautiful," The United States Congressional Record, 1992
- Lines of Defense, Police Ideology and the Constitution. 2000, Institute of Police Technology and Management. (ISBN 9781884566400)
- Guns in the WorkPlace, A Manual for Private Sector Employers and Employees, 2006, Merril Press. (ISBN 9780936783499)
- The Badge, Stories and Tales from Both Sides of the Law. 2011, BeachHouse Press. (ISBN 9781596300712)
- Circa 1957, 2nd Edition, 2012, BeachHouse Press. (ISBN 9780962718403)
- Where the Old Highway Had Run: Classic Tales of the Road and Beyond, 2015, BeachHouse Books. (ISBN 9781596300989)
- Instinct Combat Shooting, Defensive Handgunning for Police, 4th Edition, 2016, CRC Press Taylor & Francis Group. (ISBN 9781498766913)
- "Police Ethics: The Creed". Law Officer. 23 October 2012. Archived from the original on 19 August 2014. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- "A Test of Police Allegiance". Law Officer. 30 May 2013. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- "Have lethal force standards crossed the line?". American Police Beat. Sep 2002. p. 4.
- "Oct 1972". Law and Order Magazine. p. 43.
- "Instinct vs. Indexing: Close-Quarters Handgun Tactics". Law Officer. 5 March 2012.
- "Instinct Combat Shooting: Tricks That Pay Off When It Counts". Law Officer. 28 June 2010.
- Peter Bronson (August 2011). "Bronson-At-Large:Horsepower". Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- "Staff". Tactical Defense Institute. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- Jim Burns (7 July 2008). "Concealed Carry Ban Struck Down in Ohio". CNS News. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- "Ohio Ban on Concealed Guns Voided". 11 April 2002.
- "America Is Beautiful - (By Chuck Klein) (Extension of Remarks - July 22, 1992)". 138 (104). Congressional Record 102nd Congress. 1991–1992.