Kocsis, better known as Chuck, was introduced to the game as a caddie at the Phoenix Country Club, which is now Rogell Municipal Golf Course. One of fourteen children, he grew up in the Old Redford area of Detroit. Attended Redford High and was victorious at the city and state championship levels.
Kocsis was the winner of six Michigan Amateurs, three Michigan Opens (1931, 1945, 1946), individual intercollegiate champion member of three U.S. Walker Cup teams, member of two NCAA Championship teams at the University of Michigan, low amateur in the Masters, low amateur in two U.S. Opens, runner-up at the 1956 U.S. Amateur, and runner-up at the 1937 Western Amateur.
Kocsis also found success on the senior level winning several National and International Senior Amateurs. During his time at the University of Michigan, Kocsis became a member of the Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity.
The Golf Association of Michigan voted Kocsis the Michigan amateur golfer of the century and was a member of the first class elected into the Michigan Golf Hall of Fame.
- this list may be incomplete
- 1930 Michigan Amateur
- 1931 Michigan Open
- 1933 Michigan Amateur
- 1934 Michigan Amateur
- 1936 NCAA Championship
- 1937 Michigan Amateur
- 1945 Michigan Open
- 1946 Michigan Open
- 1948 Michigan Amateur
- 1951 Michigan Amateur
- 1960 Dogwood Invitational
Results in major championships
|U.S. Open||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||CUT||DNP||T14 LA||T10||DNP||DNP|
|The Amateur Championship||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||R16||DNP|
|The Amateur Championship||NT||NT||NT||NT||NT||NT||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP|
|Masters Tournament||T35||DNP||T14 LA||T45||DNP||DNP||DNP||CUT||CUT||T22|
|U.S. Open||DNP||T16 LA||CUT||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||T32||DNP||DNP|
|The Amateur Championship||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP|
|The Amateur Championship||DNP||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–|
LA = Low amateur
NYF = Tournament not yet founded
NT = No tournament
DNP = Did not play
CUT = missed the half-way cut
R128, R64, R32, R16, QF, SF = Round in which player lost in match play
"T" indicates a tie for a place
Yellow background for top-10
U.S. national team appearances
- Walker Cup: 1938, 1949 (winners), 1957 (winners)
- "2011 Walker Cup Match Guide" (PDF). USGA. pp. 10–11, 16, 22. Retrieved July 12, 2013.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2007-10-08. Retrieved 2007-08-21.
- "Kocsis and Malloy Register 148s To Tie Johnson for Medal Honors". The New York Times. June 26, 1935. Retrieved January 29, 2015.
- "Lambda Chis Dominate Intercollegiate Golf" The Cross and Crescent. July 1936.
- "Kocsis of Michigan Defeats Louisiana State Golfer". Battle Creek Enquirer. June 28, 1936.
- USGA Championship Database Archived June 22, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Sport: After Jones". Time. June 6, 1938.
|This biographical article relating to American golf is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|