Chuck (season 4)
|Chuck (season 4)|
DVD box set
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||24|
|Original release||September 20, 2010– May 16, 2011|
The fourth season of Chuck was announced on May 13, 2010. Having initially ordered 13 episodes, NBC ordered an additional 11 on October 19, 2010 for a total of 24 episodes. Throughout the season, Chuck faced individual villains: Alexei Volkoff, head of Volkoff Industries, and Volkoff's daughter, Vivian McArthur.
Josh Schwartz and Chris Fedak expressed a desire to continue the series past the fourth season as early as March 2011, when it was announced that the season finale would be titled "Chuck Versus the Cliffhanger". The episode, as the title suggests, had a cliffhanger ending leading into the fifth and final season, which was ordered on May 13, 2011.
Cast and characters
- Zachary Levi as Agent Charles "Chuck" Bartowski (24 episodes)
- Yvonne Strahovski as Agent Sarah Walker (later Bartowski) (24 episodes)
- Joshua Gomez as Morgan Grimes (24 episodes)
- Ryan McPartlin as Dr. Devon "Captain Awesome" Woodcomb (18 episodes)
- Mark Christopher Lawrence as Michael "Big Mike" Tucker (16 episodes)
- Scott Krinsky as Jeffrey "Jeff" Barnes (18 episodes)
- Vik Sahay as Lester Patel (18 episodes)
- Bonita Friedericy as Brigadier General Diane Beckman (21 episodes)
- Sarah Lancaster as Dr. Eleanor "Ellie" Bartowski Woodcomb (21 episodes)
- Adam Baldwin as Colonel John Casey (24 episodes)
- Mekenna Melvin as Alex McHugh (12 episodes)
- Linda Hamilton as Mary Elizabeth Bartowski (11 episodes)
- Timothy Dalton as Alexei Volkoff (6 episodes)
- Olivia Munn, Isaiah Mustafa, Stacy Keibler, and Summer Glau as "Greta" (5 episodes)
- Lauren Cohan as Vivian McArthur (5 episodes)
- Robin Givens as Jane Bentley (3 episodes)
- Ray Wise as Riley (3 episodes)
- Richard Chamberlain as The Belgian (2 episodes)
- Mini Anden as Carina Miller (2 episodes)
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Prod.
|55||1||"Chuck Versus the Anniversary"||Robert Duncan McNeill||Chris Fedak||September 20, 2010||3X6301||5.79|
|When the CIA gains control over the Buy More, Chuck begins searching for his mother (Linda Hamilton). Sarah and Casey follow a trail to Russia as they investigate the mysterious Volkoff Industries and its operative, Marco (Dolph Lundgren). Back at home, Ellie delivers big news to her family. Olivia Munn appears as the inaugural Greta, a rotating character.|
|56||2||"Chuck Versus the Suitcase"||Gail Mancuso||Rafe Judkins & Lauren LeFranc||September 27, 2010||3X6302||5.37|
|There are crimes of fashion when Chuck and Sarah go undercover in Milan for Fashion Week to seize a high-tech weapon, yet Chuck soon recognizes a flaw in his relationship with Sarah. Meanwhile, Morgan discovers a vulnerability about the new Buy More. Also guest starring Lou Ferrigno, Karolina Kurkova as Sofia Stepanova, Isaiah Mustafa as Greta, and Bronson Pinchot.|
|57||3||"Chuck Versus the Cubic Z"||Norman Buckley||Nicholas Wootton||October 4, 2010||3X6303||5.38|
|A prison transfer delivers old foes, Heather Chandler and Hugo Panzer (Nicole Richie and "Stone Cold" Steve Austin), to Castle, canceling Chuck and Sarah’s romantic mission. But Chuck grows more interested when the manipulative Heather claims to know a secret about Frost. Meanwhile, as Morgan prepares the Buy More for a huge video game release, he gets a surprise from Big Mike. Guest star Stacy Keibler as Greta.|
|58||4||"Chuck Versus the Coup d'Etat"||Robert Duncan McNeill||Kristin Newman||October 11, 2010||3X6304||5.33|
|Indebted to Devon for saving his life in "Chuck Versus the Angel de la Muerte", Premier Alejandro Goya (Armand Assante) shows his gratitude by inviting the gang to his beautiful island. Chuck and Sarah work on becoming better communicators as they join Devon and Ellie for a getaway to Costa Gravas. However, Goya's wife (Tia Texada) has other plans. Back at home, Morgan embarks on a forbidden romance that may put him at odds with Colonel John Casey.|
|59||5||"Chuck Versus the Couch Lock"||Michael Schultz||Henry Alonso Myers||October 18, 2010||3X6305||5.23|
|When Casey's Clinton-era team (Dave Bautista, Eric Roberts and Joel David Moore) returns looking for him, Chuck must decide what he's willing to sacrifice in order to find his mother. Elsewhere, Morgan works up the nerve to reveal a potentially dangerous secret to Casey.|
|60||6||"Chuck Versus the Aisle of Terror"||John Scott||Craig DiGregorio||October 25, 2010||3X6306||5.45|
|Team Bartowski battles sinister scientist Dr. Stanley Wheelwright (Robert Englund) who is plotting to sell a toxin that induces nightmares. Meanwhile, the true allegiances of Mary Bartowski come under scrutiny, and the Buy More gang celebrates Halloween.|
|61||7||"Chuck Versus the First Fight"||Allan Kroeker||Rafe Judkins & Lauren LeFranc||November 1, 2010||3X6307||5.47|
|Chuck embarks on a rogue mission with Gregory Tuttle (Timothy Dalton), his mother's handler at MI-6. In their attempt to prove Mary Bartowski's innocence, they are attacked by Dasha (Ana Gasteyer), a nefarious Volkoff operative. Meanwhile, Ellie digs into her family's secretive past.|
|62||8||"Chuck Versus the Fear of Death"||Robert Duncan McNeill||Nicholas Wootton||November 15, 2010||3X6308||5.43|
|Worried his relationship with Sarah is souring, Chuck aims to impress by attempting a dangerous mission with the help of Agent Jim Rye (Rob Riggle) to retrieve a diamond being sold by Adelbert de Smet a.k.a. "The Belgian" (Richard Chamberlain). Meanwhile, Casey and Morgan try to protect Jeff and Lester from the truth when they snoop around to find out the true identity of Greta (Summer Glau).|
|63||9||"Chuck Versus Phase Three"||Anton Cropper||Kristin Newman||November 22, 2010||3X6309||4.80|
|In order to hunt down the Belgian (Richard Chamberlain), who has kidnapped Chuck to get him to flash so he can take the Intersect, Sarah, Morgan and Casey immerse themselves in the jungles of Southeast Asia. Meanwhile, Ellie and Devon dive into the secret Stephen Bartowski left behind.|
|64||10||"Chuck Versus the Leftovers"||Zachary Levi||Henry Alonso Myers||November 29, 2010||3X6310||6.17|
|Chuck's mom comes over with Alexei Volkoff for "Thanksgiving leftovers" dinner the day after the holiday bringing complications along with her. Morgan and the rest of the Buy More crew deal with the busiest shopping day of the year. Ellie discovers more family clues in the meantime.|
|65||11||"Chuck Versus the Balcony"||Jay Chandrasekhar||Max Denby||January 17, 2011||3X6311||5.97|
|Chuck struggles with the escalation of his relationship with Sarah. Meanwhile, they are sent on an impromptu spy mission to France to recover a lost nano-chip. Lester asks Big Mike for relationship advice, and Morgan attempts to help Chuck propose to Sarah, who has a secret of her own.|
|66||12||"Chuck Versus the Gobbler"||Milan Cheylov||Craig DiGregorio||January 24, 2011||3X6312||6.06|
|Sarah goes undercover with Volkoff Industries hoping to free Chuck's mother. To do so, Sarah is helped by Team Bartowski to break Yuri the Gobbler (Matthew Willig) out of prison. Sarah is told she must prove her loyalty by killing Casey. Devon and Ellie discuss names for their baby.|
|67||13||"Chuck Versus the Push Mix"||Peter Lauer||Rafe Judkins & Lauren LeFranc||January 31, 2011||3X6313||5.57|
|While Sarah is away trying to save Chuck's mother, Chuck and Morgan plot to take down Volkoff while Casey starts to bond with Alex. Ellie is rushed to hospital for the birth of her baby.|
|68||14||"Chuck Versus the Seduction Impossible"||Patrick Norris||Chris Fedak & Kristin Newman||February 7, 2011||3X6314||5.41|
|Chuck, Sarah and Casey are sent to Morocco to rescue old friend Roan Montgomery (John Larroquette), while Morgan meets Alex's mother (Clare Carey) and Mary tries to reconnect with her family.|
|69||15||"Chuck Versus the Cat Squad"||Paul Marks||Nicholas Wootton||February 14, 2011||3X6315||5.47|
|As a surprise, Chuck reunites Sarah with her old spy team The C.A.T. Squad including Carina Miller (Mini Anden). The squad flies to Rio De Janeiro to face off against their nemesis Augusto Gaez (Lou Diamond Phillips), however old grudges start to get in the way of the mission. Elsewhere, Morgan and Alex's relationship is threatened by Carina's return.|
|70||16||"Chuck Versus the Masquerade"||Patrick Norris||Rafe Judkins & Lauren LeFranc||February 21, 2011||3X6316||5.48|
|Valentine's day is ruined when the team is dispatched to protect heiress Vivian McArthur (Lauren Cohan). Casey is tempted by an offer from Jane Bentley (Robin Givens) and Morgan makes a big decision.|
|71||17||"Chuck Versus the First Bank of Evil"||Frederick E.O. Toye||Henry Alonso Myers & Craig DiGregorio||February 28, 2011||3X6317||5.35|
|Chuck encourages Vivian McArthur (Lauren Cohan) to get in touch with her inner villain for a mission; Morgan Grimes' search for a new roommate has unexpected results.|
|72||18||"Chuck Versus the A-Team"||Kevin Mock||Phil Klemmer||March 14, 2011||3X6318||4.92|
|When a new team starts operating from Castle, Chuck and Sarah wonder if they're being phased out.|
|73||19||"Chuck Versus the Muuurder"||Allan Kroeker||Alex Katsnelson & Kristin Newman||March 21, 2011||3X6319||4.23|
|Four potential CIA agents are brought to Castle to determine who's going to be the new Intersect. Chuck must solve the mystery when the potential candidates start turning up dead. Meanwhile, the Buy More crew try saving Big Mike from Large Mart.|
|74||20||"Chuck Versus the Family Volkoff"||Robert Duncan McNeill||Amanda Kate Shuman & Nicholas Wootton||April 11, 2011||3X6320||4.03|
|When the CIA orders Vivian assassinated, Chuck must put his trust in a dangerous ally – Vivian's father Alexei. Meanwhile, Ellie suspects that her mother is interfering with the search into her father's past.|
|75||21||"Chuck Versus the Wedding Planner"||Anton Cropper||Rafe Judkins & Lauren LeFranc||April 18, 2011||3X6321||4.22|
|When Chuck and Sarah get conned out of their wedding money, they turn to Sarah's conman father, Jack Burton (Gary Cole), for help. Meanwhile, Morgan pressures Casey to face Alex's mother.|
|76||22||"Chuck Versus Agent X"||Robert Duncan McNeill||Phil Klemmer & Craig DiGregorio||May 2, 2011||3X6322||4.10|
|Chuck's bachelor party turns up some uninvited guests; Ellie makes a life-changing discovery while investigating her father's computer.|
|77||23||"Chuck Versus the Last Details"||Peter Lauer||Henry Alonso Myers & Kristin Newman||May 9, 2011||3X6323||4.10|
|Chuck and Sarah's wedding prep includes one final detail: ensuring that the mother-of-the-groom makes it to the ceremony alive. Meanwhile, Morgan's responsibilities as Best Man include his most dangerous mission yet, as he faces Vivian Volkoff. Elsewhere, Ellie tends to the last details of the rehearsal dinner and seeks help from an unlikely source.|
|78||24||"Chuck Versus the Cliffhanger"||Robert Duncan McNeil||Chris Fedak & Nicholas Wootton||May 16, 2011||3X6324||4.53|
|Before he can kiss the bride, Chuck puts everything on the line in order to save Sarah, including his own life.|
US Nielsen ratings
|1||"Chuck Versus the Anniversary"||September 20, 2010||5.7||2.0||6|||
|2||"Chuck Versus the Suitcase"||September 27, 2010||5.3||2.0||5|||
|3||"Chuck Versus the Cubic Z"||October 5, 2010||5.3||1.9||5|||
|4||"Chuck Versus the Coup d'Etat"||October 11, 2010||5.3||1.9||5|||
|5||"Chuck Versus the Couch Lock"||October 18, 2010||5.2||1.9||5|||
|6||"Chuck Versus the Aisle of Terror"||October 25, 2010||5.4||1.9||5|||
|7||"Chuck Versus the First Fight"||November 1, 2010||5.4||2.0||5|||
|8||"Chuck Versus the Fear of Death"||November 15, 2010||5.4||1.8||5|||
|9||"Chuck Versus Phase Three"||November 22, 2010||4.8||1.7||5|||
|10||"Chuck Versus the Leftovers"||November 29, 2010||6.1||2.0||6|||
|11||"Chuck Versus the Balcony"||January 17, 2011||5.9||2.1||5|||
|12||"Chuck Versus the Gobbler"||January 24, 2011||6.0||1.9||5|||
|13||"Chuck Versus the Push Mix"||January 31, 2011||5.5||1.7||5|||
|14||"Chuck Versus the Seduction Impossible"||February 7, 2011||5.4||1.7||5|||
|15||"Chuck Versus the Cat Squad"||February 14, 2011||5.5||1.7||5|||
|16||"Chuck Versus the Masquerade"||February 21, 2011||5.5||1.7||4|||
|17||"Chuck Versus the First Bank of Evil"||February 28, 2011||5.3||1.7||5|||
|18||"Chuck Versus the A-Team"||March 14, 2011||4.9||1.6||5|||
|19||"Chuck Versus the Muuurder"||March 21, 2011||4.2||1.5||4|||
|20||"Chuck Versus the Family Volkoff"||April 11, 2011||4.0||1.3||4|||
|21||"Chuck Versus the Wedding Planner"||April 18, 2011||4.2||1.3||4|||
|22||"Chuck Versus Agent X"||May 2, 2011||4.1||1.4||4|||
|23||"Chuck Versus the Last Details"||May 9, 2011||4.1||1.4||4|||
|24||"Chuck Versus the Cliffhanger"||May 16, 2011||4.5||1.5||4|||
UK BARB ratings
|#||Episode||UK air date||Living TV viewers
|Living TV rank
|Living TV +1 viewers
|Living TV +1 rank
|1||"Chuck Versus the Anniversary"||October 14, 2010||259||5||N/A||N/A|
|2||"Chuck Versus the Suitcase"||October 21, 2010||222||6||N/A||N/A|
|3||"Chuck Versus the Cubic Z"||October 28, 2010||199||6||N/A||N/A|
|4||"Chuck Versus the Coup d'Etat"||November 4, 2010||152||8||N/A||N/A|
|5||"Chuck Versus the Couch Lock"||November 11, 2010||169||10||N/A||N/A|
|6||"Chuck Versus the Aisle of Terror"||November 18, 2010||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|7||"Chuck Versus the First Fight"||November 25, 2010||133||9||79||9|
|8||"Chuck Versus the Fear of Death"||December 2, 2010||160||5||N/A||N/A|
|9||"Chuck Versus Phase Three"||December 9, 2010||197||4||N/A||N/A|
|10||"Chuck Versus the Leftovers"||December 16, 2010||178||7||95||8|
|11||"Chuck Versus the Balcony"||March 31, 2011||192||9||N/A||N/A|
|12||"Chuck Versus the Gobbler"||April 7, 2011||180||10||N/A||N/A|
|13||"Chuck Versus the Push Mix"||April 14, 2011||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|14||"Chuck Versus the Seduction Impossible"||April 21, 2011||238||9||N/A||N/A|
|15||"Chuck Versus the Cat Squad"||April 28, 2011||183||8||N/A||N/A|
|16||"Chuck Versus the Masquerade"||May 5, 2011||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|17||"Chuck Versus the First Bank of Evil"||May 12, 2011||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|18||"Chuck Versus the A-Team"||May 19, 2011||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|19||"Chuck Versus the Muuurder"||May 26, 2011||173||10||N/A||N/A|
|20||"Chuck Versus the Family Volkoff"||June 2, 2011||192||7||N/A||N/A|
|21||"Chuck Versus the Wedding Planner"||June 9, 2011||181||10||83||4|
|22||"Chuck Versus Agent X"||June 16, 2011||244||5||N/A||N/A|
|23||"Chuck Versus the Last Details"||June 23, 2011||195||5||N/A||N/A|
|24||"Chuck Versus the Cliffhanger"||June 30, 2011||212||7||N/A||N/A|
Home media release
|Chuck: The Complete Fourth Season|
|Set Details||Special Features|
| United States
|United Kingdom|| Australia
|October 11, 2011||October 3, 2011||February 1, 2012||February 1, 2012|
- "Five ways to celebrate Chuck season 4". ChuckTV. Retrieved May 19, 2010.
- "NBC Unveils 2010–11 Primetime Schedule Accented By Five New Comedies, Seven New Dramas and New Alternative Program". NBC Media Village. Retrieved May 23, 2010.
- Ausiello, Michael (October 19, 2010). "Breaking: NBC picks up 'Chase,' orders more 'Undercovers'". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved October 19, 2010.
- "(#3X6324) "CHUCK VERSUS THE CLIFFHANGER"". The Futon Critic. Retrieved May 4, 2011.
- Moro, Eric (March 25, 2011). "C2E2: Chuck S4 Secrets Revealed". Retrieved March 25, 2011.
- Hibberd, James (May 13, 2011). "Official: NBC renews 'Chuck' for final season". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved May 13, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (September 21, 2010). "Monday Finals: 'Hawaii Five-0,' 'Two and a Half Men,' 'DWTS,' 'House' Gain; 'Chuck,' 'The Event', Chase, Castle Drop". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved September 21, 2010.
- Gorman, Bill (September 28, 2010). "Monday Finals: Castle Adjusted Down; Chuck, Rules, Hawaii Five-0, 90210 Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 31, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (October 5, 2010). "Monday Finals: Castle, Lie to Me, 90210 Adjusted Down; House, How I Met Your Mother, Mike & Molly, Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on October 7, 2010. Retrieved October 5, 2010.
- Gorman, Bill (October 12, 2010). "Monday Finals: Castle, Dancing Adjusted Down; How I Met Your Mother, Two And A Half Men, 90210 Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 12, 2010.
- Seidman, Robert (October 19, 2010). "Monday Finals: Castle, Lie to Me Adjusted Down; How I Met Your Mother, DWTS, Two and a Half Men, Mike & Molly Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 19, 2010.
- Gorman, Bill (October 26, 2010). "Monday Finals: Castle Adjusted Down, Still Beats Five-0; Dancing, Rules, Men, Mike & Molly, Lie, 90210 Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 26, 2010.
- Seidman, Robert (November 2, 2010). "Monday Finals: Castle Adjusted Down Slightly; Chuck Holds". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 2, 2010.
- Seidman, Robert (November 16, 2010). "Monday Finals: Mike & Molly, Lie to Me Adjusted Down; How I Met Your Mother Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 16, 2010.
- Seidman, Robert (November 23, 2010). "Monday Finals: Lie to Me Adjusted Down; Hawaii Five-0 Up; No Change for Chuck". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 23, 2010.
- Gorman, Bill (December 1, 2010). "Monday Finals: No Change for 'Chuck' Or Any Other Original Episodes". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved December 1, 2010.
- Gorman, Bill (January 19, 2011). "Monday Final Ratings: 'Chuck' Adjusted Up To A Season High, 'Harry's Law,' 'Rules' Also Up; 'House,' 'Mike & Molly' Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 19, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (January 25, 2011). "Monday Final Ratings: 'Chuck' Drops, But Only a Little; No Change for 'Lie To Me' or 'Castle'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 25, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (February 1, 2011). "Monday Final Ratings: No Adjustments For 'Chuck,' 'Lie To Me,' 'The Cape' Or Any Other Original Episodes". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 1, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (February 8, 2011). "Monday Finals: No Ratings Adjustments For 'Chuck' or 'The Chicago Code'; 'Mike & Molly' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 8, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (February 15, 2011). "Monday Final Ratings: No 18-49 Adjustments For 'Mad Love,' 'Chuck' Or Any Other Shows". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 15, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (February 23, 2011). "Monday Final Ratings: 'The Bachelor' and 'Hawaii Five-0' Adjusted Up; No Adjustment for 'Chuck'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 23, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (March 1, 2011). "Monday Final Ratings: 'The Bachelor,' 'The Cape' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 1, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (March 15, 2011). "Monday Final Ratings: 'Harry's Law' Adjusted Up; No Adjustment For 'Chuck,' 'The Event' Or Any Other New Show". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 15, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (March 22, 2011). "Monday Final Ratings: 'Castle,' 'The Chicago Code' Adjusted Down; Dancing Stars, 'How I Met Your Mother' Adjusted Up; 'Chuck' Stays Low". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 22, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (April 12, 2011). "Monday Final Ratings: 'Dancing With The Stars,' 'Hawaii Five-0' Adjusted Up; 'Castle' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (April 19, 2011). "Monday Final Ratings: 'The Chicago Code,' 'Cougar Town,' 'Gossip Girl' Adjusted Down; 'Mike & Molly,' 'Mad Love,' 'Hawaii Five-0,' 'DWTS' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 19, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (May 3, 2011). "Monday Final Ratings: 'Dancing With The Stars,' 'How I Met Your Mother,' 'Mike & Molly,' 'Hawaii Five-0' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 3, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (May 10, 2011). "Monday Final Ratings: 'Chuck,' 'Dancing,' 'House,' 'Mother,' 'Mad Love,' 'Mike & Molly' Adjusted Up". TV By the Numbers. Retrieved May 10, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (May 18, 2011). "Monday Final Ratings: 'Dancing,' 'Hawaii Five-0,' 'How I Met Your Mother,' 'Mad Love,' 'Mike & Molly' Adjusted Up; 'The Chicago Code' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 18, 2011.
- "Weekly Programmes". BARB. Archived from the original on July 18, 2014. Retrieved September 4, 2010.