Chug-a-Lug (Roger Miller song)
|Single by Roger Miller|
|from the album Roger and Out|
|Roger Miller singles chronology|
The song is a humorous reminiscence of youthful encounters with homemade alcoholic beverages. The expression "chug-a-lug" refers to quickly downing a drink, and the lyrics describe the singer's reaction to the extra-strong liquor. Example: "I swallered it with a smile / (sound of swallowing) / I run ten mile! Chug-a-lug, chug-a-lug / Makes you want to holler, 'Hi-dee-ho!' / Burns your tummy, don't ya know / Chug-a-lug, chug-a-lug."
Miller said that the song was based on a true story of a friend of his who "could drink a beer in 3 seconds.
|Canadian RPM Country Tracks||3|
|New Zealand (Lever) ||8|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles||3|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||9|
- The British group The Swinging Blue Jeans included the song on their 1966 Canada Capitol album Don't Make Me Over.
- The song was recorded on the Kentucky Headhunters' 2005 album Big Boss Man.
- This song was re-worded and used for the theme of the Hey Hey It's Saturday segment Plucka Duck.
- Country singer Toby Keith included a live version on the deluxe edition of his 2010 album Bullets in the Gun.
- A reworded version was used in animated advertisements for "Milk Chug" single-serving milk bottles.