Region 7 Sur #024
|• Municipal President||Mariza Jazmín Itzá Briceño|
|• Total||45.99 km2 (17.76 sq mi)|
|Elevation||25 m (82 ft)|
|• Density||68/km2 (180/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central Standard Time)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (Central Daylight Time)|
|Major Airport||Merida (Manuel Crescencio Rejón) International Airport|
|Municipalities of Yucatán|
Chumayel Municipality (In the Yucatec Maya Language: “place of seeds") is one of the 106 municipalities in the Mexican state of Yucatán containing (45.99 km2) of land and is located roughly 80 km southeast of the city of Mérida.
There is no accurate data on when the town was founded, though it existed before the conquest. At colonization, Chumayel became part of the encomienda system. The town's ancient history is important; one of the few remaining Mayan documents, the Codices of the Chilam Balam of Chumayel, originated here.
Yucatán declared its independence from the Spanish Crown in 1821, and in 1825 the area was assigned to the lower mountainous partition of Mama Municipality. In 1867 it was moved to the Tekax Municipality and in 1935 it was designated as its own municipality.
The municipal president is elected for a three-year term. The town council has four councilpersons, who serve as Secretary and councilors of public security, public lighting and nomenclature.
The Municipal Council administers the business of the municipality. It is responsible for budgeting and expenditures and producing all required reports for all branches of the municipal administration. Annually it determines educational standards for schools.
The Police Commissioners ensure public order and safety. They are tasked with enforcing regulations, distributing materials and administering rulings of general compliance issued by the council.
|Entire Municipality (2010)||3,148|
|Chumayel||2924 in 2005|
Every year from 28 April to 3 May the traditional town feast, Holy Christ's Transfiguration, is celebrated.
- Church of the Immaculate Conception built in the 16th century
- Hacienda Ucum
- "Alcaldes y Partidos en los municipios 2012" (in Spanish). Mérida, Mexico: gentepractika. 2012. Retrieved 1 August 2015.
- "Municipios de Yucatán »Chumayel" (in Spanish). Retrieved 1 August 2015.
- "Mexico In Figures:Chumayel, Yucatán". INEGI (in Spanish and English). Aguascalientes, México: Instituto Nacional de Estadística y Geografía (INEGI). Archived from the original on 6 May 2015. Retrieved 1 August 2015.
- "Chumayel". inafed (in Spanish). Mérida, Mexico: Enciclopedia de Los Municipios y Delegaciones de México. Retrieved 1 August 2015.
- "Chumayel". PueblosAmerica (in Spanish). PueblosAmerica. 2005. Retrieved 1 August 2015.