Chung Laung Liu
Liu Chung Laung
|Citizenship||Republic of China|
|Alma mater||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
National Cheng Kung University
|Awards||Academician of the Academia Sinica|
City University of Hong Kong
National Cheng Kung University (2007–)
|Doctoral students||Andrew Yao|
Chung Laung (Dave) Liu (Chinese: 劉炯朗; pinyin: Liú Jiǒnglǎng; born 1934), or C. L. Liu, is a Taiwanese computer scientist. Born in Guangzhou, he spent his childhood in Macau. He received his B.Sc. degree in Taiwan, Master's degree and doctorate in United States.
Liu received his B.Sc. degree (1956) at the National Cheng Kung University in Taiwan, and his S.M. and E.E. degrees (1960), and his Sc. D. degree (1962) at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He was on the faculty of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1962–1972) and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (1972–1998), where he was Associate Provost from 1995 to 1998. He then retired from UIUC and served as President and Professor of Computer Science at the National Tsing Hua University (NTHU) in Hsinchu, Taiwan from February 1998 to February 2002. He is currently the William Mong Honorary Chair Professor at National Tsing Hua University. He was a Visiting Professor at City University of Hong Kong, and at Waseda University, Tokyo, Japan, and Li K. T. Honorary Chair Professor at National Central University. Since 2007 he has been Li Kuo-Ting Forum Professor at National Cheng Kung University.
He is the author and co-author of seven books and monographs, and over 180 technical papers. His research interests include computer-aided design of VLSI circuits, real-time systems, computer-aided instruction, combinatorial optimization, and discrete mathematics.
He received the IEEE Millennium Medal, and the IEEE Circuits and Systems Society Golden Jubilee Medal in 2000. He also received the IEEE Computer Society, Real Time Systems Technical Committee 1999 Technical Achievement Award (inaugural winner) for his contributions in the area of real time scheduling, and the IEEE Circuits and Systems Society 1998 Technical Achievement Award for his contributions in the area of computer aided design of VLSI circuits. He received an Outstanding Talents Foundation Award in 1998. He is the recipient of the 1994 IEEE Education Medal. He also received the Taylor L. Booth Education Award from the IEEE Computer Society in 1992, and the inaugural winner of the Karl V. Karlstrom Education Award from the Association for Computing Machinery in 1989.
- 2016: ACM SIGDA Pioneering Achievement Award
- 2014: IEEE Gustav Robert Kirchhoff Award
- 2011: Phil Kaufman Award, for technical and business contributions in Electronic design automation
- 2000: The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Millennium Medal, and the IEEE Circuits and Systems Society Golden Jubilee Medal
- 1999: The IEEE Computer Society, Real Time Systems Technical Committee 1999 Technical Achievement Award (inaugural winner) for his contributions in the area of real time scheduling,
- 1999: The IEEE Circuits and Systems Society 1998 Technical Achievement Award  for his contributions in the area of computer aided design of VLSI circuits.
- 1998: Outstanding Talents Foundation Award
- 1994: IEEE Education Medal and ACM Fellow.
- 1992: The Taylor L. Booth Education Award from the IEEE Computer Society
- 1989: Karl V. Karlstrom Outstanding Educator Award from the Association for Computing Machinery
- A Citation for Professor Liu Chung Laung, speech by Prof. Rui Martins of the Univ. of Macau on the presentation of an honorary doctorate to Liu in 2004.
- Seminar with Academician Chung-Laung Liu: ‘My Learning Experiences’ Archived 2017-02-02 at the Wayback Machine, National Cheng Kung University, October 7, 2009, retrieved January 26, 2017.
- C. L. Liu at DBLP Bibliography Server
- C. L. Liu wins Karl Karstrom Award, 1989
- C. L. Liu at Academica Sinica.
- Dave Liu - Award Winner - 1994 ACM Fellows Award Citation.
- "SIGDA Pioneering Achievement Award". Archived from the original on 2019-05-10. Retrieved 2017-01-26.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-10-25. Retrieved 2015-09-02.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "IEEE James H. Mulligan, Jr. Education Medal Recipients" (PDF). IEEE. Retrieved November 24, 2010.
- "Past recipients for Taylor L. Booth Education Award". IEEE Computer Society. Archived from the original on January 10, 2011. Retrieved December 8, 2011.
- "Karl V. Karlstrom Outstanding Educator Award". Association for Computing Machinery. Archived from the original on 2012-04-02. Retrieved December 8, 2011.
| President of National Tsing Hua University