This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2020)
|TWSE: 2412 |
|Founded||June 15, 1996|
|Headquarters||Zhongzheng, Taipei, Taiwan|
|Chi-Mau Sheih, Chairman and CEO|
Shui-Yi Kuo, President
|Revenue||NTD 210,478 millions (2021)|
|NTD 37,195 millions (2021)|
|Total assets||NTD 513,070 millions (2021)|
|Owner||Ministry of Transportation and Communications (35.29%)|
Number of employees
|Chunghwa Telecom Co., Ltd.|
Chunghwa Telecom Company, Ltd. (Chinese: 中華電信股份有限公司; pinyin: Zhōnghuá Diànxìn; Wade–Giles: Chung1-hua2 Tien4-hsin4) (TWSE: 2412, NYSE: CHT) is the largest integrated telecom service provider in Taiwan, and the incumbent local exchange carrier of PSTN, Mobile, and broadband services in the country.
Chunghwa Telecom was founded as a company on June 15, 1996 as part of the Taiwanese government's privatization efforts. Prior to this, it was operated as a business unit of the Directorate General of Telecommunications for over 100 years.
The company's common shares have been listed on the Taiwan Stock Exchange under the number "2412" since October 2000, and its ADSs have been listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol "CHT" since July 2003.
In August 2005, Chunghwa Telecom became a privatized company, as the Taiwan government's ownership was reduced to less than 50%.
The Directorate General of Telecommunications once exercised a monopoly on the telecommunications market in Taiwan. To make the telecommunications industry more competitive and improve service quality, the Ministry of Transportation and Communications began to promote "telecommunications liberalization" policy from the late 1980s, in which the telecom industry would gradually be opened to private industry operations. The liberalization of telecommunications, as well as the management and operation of telecommunications business as mentioned in the plan, aimed to achieve "separation between government and enterprises".
On July 1, 1996, the "Chunghwa Telecom Ordinance" was enacted under an amendment of the "Telecommunications Act", which formally established Chunghwa Telecom Co. Ltd. with a capital of NT$96.477 billion yuan, operating first class and second class telecom services, under the "Taiwan Northern Telecom Branch", "Central Taiwan telecommunications branch", "Southern Taiwan telecommunications branch"," long-distance and mobile communications branch", "International Telecommunication Branch", "Data Communications Branch", "Telecommunications Research Institute" and "Telecommunications Training Institute".
In 1997, Chunghwa Telecom was awarded the license to operate a second-generation mobile communications (2G) network (GSM 900 MHz and 1800 MHz).
In October 2000, Chunghwa Telecom was listed on the Taiwan Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol "2412." In July 2003, Chunghwa Telecom was listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol "CHT" and on 12 August 2005, the Government of China Telecom's stake to 50%, and officially became a private company.
In 2007, Chunghwa Telecom acquired Senao International, and Senao becomes the exclusive sales agent of Chunghwa Telecom mobile phones.
On May 1, 2007, Chunghwa Telecom set up a division for enterprise customers, incorporated in the Southern Taiwan telecommunications branch.
On October 30, 2013, Chunghwa Telecom acquired in an auction for NT$39.075 billion a spectrum of LTE bands (900 MHz B2 / 1800 MHz C2 / C5), with a bandwidth limit of 2x35MHz, as well as C5-band (1800 MHz).
Chunghwa Telecom launched Taiwan's first 5G NR network on June 30, 2020, and has also announced the arrival of a Cloud Gaming service as part of its 5G package. The service has been developed in cooperation with Gamestream and Intel.
On Dec 10, 2022, Chunghwa Telecom has been selected as a member of both the 2022 Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (DJSI) - World Index and Emerging Markets Index.
|2100 MHz||NR, HSPA+||n1||2x20 MHz||This frequency is shared by NR and UMTS/HSPA since June 2020 and the NR is deploying in progress.|
|900 MHz||LTE-A||8||2x20 MHz||This frequency is to provide supplemental coverage in areas where the 1800 MHz or 2600 MHz frequencies are weak or non-existent. (Better in-building penetration) and 2x10MHz of these comes from trading with Asia Pacific Telecom in 2022.|
|1800 MHz||LTE-A||3||2x10 MHz
|Main LTE band for most services.|
|2600 MHz||LTE-A||7||2x20 MHz
|Supplemental network capacity in certain areas.|
|3.5 GHz||NR||n78||90 MHz||Deployment in progress.|
|28 GHz||NR||n257||600 MHz||Recently won in a spectrum auction in early 2020.|
- Senao International Co., Ltd., a cellular phone distributor from which Senao Networks, manufacturer of data networking products and wireless telephones under the EnGenius and Senao brands was spun off.
- Light Era Development Co.
- Donghwa Telecom Co., Ltd.
- Chunghwa Telecom Singapore Pte., Ltd.
- Chunghwa System Integration Co., Ltd.
- Chunghwa Investment Co., Ltd.
- CHIEF Telecom Inc.
- CHYP Multimedia Marketing & Communications Co., Ltd.
- Prime Asia Investments Group Ltd. (B.V.I.)
- Spring House Entertainment Tech. Inc.
- Chunghwa Telecom Global, Inc.
- Chunghwa Telecom Vietnam Co., Ltd.
- Smartfun Digital Co., Ltd.
- Chunghwa Telecom Japan Co., Ltd.
- Chunghwa Sochamp Technology Inc.
- Honghwa International Co., Ltd.
- Chunghwa Leading Photonics Tech Co., Ltd.
- Chunghwa Telecom (Thailand) Co., Ltd.
- CHT Security Co., Ltd.
- International Integrated Systems, Inc.
- marten (2022-02-02). "Chunghwa Telecoms: Best Telecom Holding Governance Asia 2021". CFI.co. Retrieved 2022-12-22.
- "Chunghwa Telecom debuts 5G service - Taipei Times". July 2020.
- "Chunghwa Telecom & Gamestream announce Taiwan's first 5G, 4K cloud gaming service cooperation | Gamestream". gamestream.biz. Retrieved 2020-08-27.
- MarketScreener. "Chunghwa Telecom : is recognized by the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index as one of the world-class sustainability leaders | MarketScreener". www.marketscreener.com. Retrieved 2022-12-22.
- "Senao". Archived from the original on 8 December 2014. Retrieved 13 May 2014.