Church and Oswaldtwistle railway station
|Church and Oswaldtwistle|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Original company||East Lancashire Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway|
|Post-grouping||London Midland and Scottish Railway|
|19 June 1848||Opened as Church station|
|1 July 1895||Renamed Church and Oswaldtwistle|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Church and Oswaldtwistle from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Church and Oswaldtwistle railway station serves both the Accrington suburb of Church and the small town of Oswaldtwistle, in Lancashire, England. The station is 5 1⁄3 miles (8.6 km) east of Blackburn railway station, on the East Lancashire Line operated by Northern.
The platforms are linked via a subway, but only the Preston bound one has step free access. It is unstaffed, but like other stations on the line, it has been fitted with passenger information screens, and a public address system to provide train running information. There are no ticket vending machines available, and so passengers must purchase their tickets in advance, or on the train.
In August 2010, a man laid on the tracks, and was therefore hit by a train in the station. In March 2011, another man was hit by a train, although he survived. In August 2011, a train driver apprehended a man walking on tracks near the station.
On Sundays, this service is two hourly in both directions. This is supplemented with the Sunday hourly service to Blackburn westbound, and to Burnley Central and Manchester Victoria eastbound, which passes through (but does not stop) on Mondays to Saturdays.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 61. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- News: On the right tracks for rail revamp
- Action stations
- Church and Oswaldtwistle station facilities National Rail Enquiries; Retrieved 25 November 2016
- "Tributes to Accrington Stanley 'terrace legend', 33". lancashiretelegraph.co.uk. 1 September 2010. Retrieved 17 March 2017.
- "Accrington man falls under train - and lives". lancashiretelegraph.co.uk. 9 March 2011. Retrieved 17 March 2017.
- "Train driver apprehends man walking on tracks at Church and Oswaldtwistle station". accringtonobserver.co.uk. 24 August 2011. Retrieved 17 March 2017.
- Table 97 National Rail timetable, May 2016
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Church and Oswaldtwistle railway station.|
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
East Lancashire Line
Caldervale Line (Sundays only)