Church of St. Joseph (St. Joseph, Minnesota)
Church of St. Joseph–Catholic
The Church of St. Joseph viewed from the northwest
|Location||12 W. Minnesota Street, St. Joseph, Minnesota|
|Architectural style||Gothic Revival|
|MPS||Ethnic Hamlet Churches–Stearns County Catholic Settlement Churches TR|
|NRHP reference #||82003057|
|Added to NRHP||April 15, 1982|
The Church of St. Joseph is a historic Roman Catholic church building in St. Joseph, Minnesota, United States. It is part of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Saint Cloud. The church was constructed in 1869 in a community settled by German immigrants. A rectory stands east of the church. Both buildings were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982 for their state-level significance in the themes of architecture, exploration/settlement, and religion. The property was nominated for reflecting the settlement of rural Stearns County by Catholic immigrant groups clustered in small, ethnic hamlets dominated by a central church.
The first Mass in the community was celebrated by Francis Xavier Pierz on October 22, 1854, when the town was still named Clinton. The first church building was completed a year later, and a small log school building was attached in 1860. The parish decided to build a more spacious building, measuring 66 by 150 feet (20 by 46 m), with the lower half consisting of native fieldstones and the upper half of granite brick from a nearby quarry. Construction began in 1869, and on June 29, 1871, Bishop Thomas Grace consecrated the building. This was the first consecrated church in Minnesota, being made of permanent materials.[dead link]
- List of Catholic churches in the United States
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Stearns County, Minnesota
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Harvey, Thomas (October 1980). "Minnesota Historic Properties Inventory Form: Ethnic Hamlet Churches: Stearns County Catholic Settlement". National Park Service. Retrieved 2018-06-11. With accompanying photo from 1980
- "Stearns County Ethnic Hamlet Catholic Churches: Church of Saint Joseph". Minnesota National Register Properties Database. Minnesota Historical Society. 2009. Retrieved 2018-06-12.
- "Church of Saint Joseph: Parish History". Retrieved 2013-01-24.