Church of Saint Catherine of Italy, Valletta
|Church of St Catherine of Alexandria|
|Chiesa di Santa Caterina d'Italia|
Knisja ta' Santa Katerina ta' Lixandra
|Dedication||St Catherine of Alexandria|
|Parish||Valletta (St Dominic)|
The Church of St Catherine of Alexandria (Maltese: Knisja ta' Santa Katerina), commonly known as the Church of St Catherine of Italy (Maltese: Knisja ta' Santa Katerina tal-Italja, Italian: Chiesa di Santa Caterina d'Italia) is a Roman Catholic church in Valletta, Malta. It was built by the Hospitaller Langue of Italy and it serves as the parish church of the Italian community of Malta.
The church was built in 1576 by the Italian knights of St John to serve as their church. It was built adjacent to the Auberge d'Italie. Girolamo Cassar was commissioned to draw up the plans. In the 17th century the church was enlarged. An octagonal church was added to the existing chapel. The original chapel was changed into the sanctuary of the church. The church underwent a major restoration from 2001 till 2011. Today the church still serves as the parish church of the Italian community of Malta.
The church building is listed on the National Inventory of the Cultural Property of the Maltese Islands.
Works of Art
The titular painting was painted by Mattia Preti. It depicts the martyrdom of St Catherine of Alexandria. Preti donated the painting to the church after his arrival in Malta. The cupola of the church was also painted by Preti. He drew it with painted stucco decorations and ornamental patterns in grey and gold.
- "St Catherine of Alexandria". Retrieved on 23 October 2014.
- "ST. CATHERINE OF ITALY CHURCH, VALLETTA ". Retrieved on 23 October 2014.
- "Restoration of St Catherine of Italy Church in final phase", Times of Malta, Malta, 17 March 2011. Retrieved on 23 October 2014.
- "Church of St. Catherine of the Langue of Italy" (PDF). National Inventory of the Cultural Property of the Maltese Islands. 27 August 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on 29 December 2014. Retrieved 31 October 2015.
- "Church of St Catherine of Alexandria" Archived 24 October 2014 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on 23 October 2014.