Church of St Cyril of Turau and All the Patron Saints of the Belarusian People
|Belarusian Memorial Chapel|
|Church of Saint Cyril of Turaŭ and All the Patron Saints of the Belarusian People|
Царква Сьвятога Кірылы Тураўскага і ўсіх сьвятых заступнікаў беларускага народу
The Belarusian Church in 2016
|Denomination||Belarusian Eastern Catholic|
|Dedication||Staint Cyril of Turaŭ|
|Consecrated||December 17, 2016|
|Priest(s)||Fr. Siarhiej Stasievich|
Church of St Cyril of Turau and All the Patron Saints of the Belarusian People (Belarusian: Царква Сьвятога Кірылы Тураўскага і ўсіх сьвятых заступнікаў беларускага народу, also known as the Belarusian Memorial Chapel) is a wooden church in Woodside Park, London. It is the first wooden church built in London since the Great Fire. It is also the first purpose-built Catholic church of Byzantine rite in London, the first memorial dedicated to the 1986 Chernobyl Nuclear Disaster erected in Western Europe, the first Belarusian Uniate church built outside Belarus and the first church building made principally out of cross laminated timber panels in London.
The chapel’s construction began in November 2015; the foundation was completed in January 2016 and the cornerstone brought from the Holy Trinity Church in Druja was laid during a ceremony presided by the Apostolic Papal Nuncio, Archbishop Antonio Mennini and Bishop of the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of Holy Family of London, Bishop Hlib Lonchyna on 7 February 2016. It was consecrated on December 17, 2016.
The design of the chapel was primarily inspired by the rural wooden churches in Belarus. The materials palette was restricted to wood and glass. The church has been clad in timber with restricted areas of clerestory windows and obscured glazing. It is therefore essentially ‘windowless’ reflecting the inward-focused Byzantine liturgical tradition. The design of the external walls was inspired by the traditional vertical timber cladding of the Baroque Uniate churches of Belarus.
The Belarusian Memorial Chapel was featured at the 2017 London Festival of Architecture and received the RIBA London Regional Award 2017 of the Royal Institute of British Architects. It has also been named People's Choice at the New London Awards 2017 by New London Architecture.
The chapel was chosen by the Royal Academy of Arts as one of the 10 buildings to see at Open House London 2017. Architizer has named it one of the 10 Catholic Churches Designed to Uplift and Inspire. On 21 October 2018, ArchDaily included the Belarusian chapel to the list of 32 best chapels previously published on the site.
The chapel was also nominated for the EU Prize in Contemporary Architecture - Mies Van der Rohe Award 2019, the highest accolade in European Architecture.
Tszwai So, architect of the Belarusian Memorial Chapel, winner of the Young Church Architect or Surveyor of the Year
- Belarusian Memorial Chapel at the official website of Spheron Architects
- "Belarusian Memorial Chapel". Spheron Architects. Retrieved 12 March 2016.
- "Камень з Друі стаўся краевугольным для беларускай царквы ў Лондане". Krynica.info. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- First wooden church since 1666 is set to shine its light
- So, Tzswai (October 2014). "Remembering Chernobyl: A New Chapel for London's Belarusian Catholics" (PDF). Oremus: Westminster Cathedral Magazine (196): 20. Retrieved 12 March 2016.
- "RIBA Announces 2017 London Regional Award Winners". archdaily.com. Retrieved 22 June 2016.
- "WHAT'S ON - BELARUSIAN MEMORIAL CHAPEL". londonfestivalofarchitecture.org. Retrieved 22 June 2016.
- New London Awards Winners 2017
- "10 buildings to see at Open House London 2017". royalacademy.org.uk. Royal Academy of Arts. Retrieved 11 November 2018.
- "Building Faith: 10 Catholic Churches Designed to Uplift and Inspire". architizer.com. Architizer. Retrieved 11 November 2018.
- "Best Small Chapel Architecture & Design". archdaily.com. ArchDaily. Retrieved 11 November 2018.
- "Белорусская мемориальная часовня в Лондоне номинирована на премию имени Миса ван дер Роэ - 2019" [The Belarusian memorial chapel has been nominated for the Mies Van der Rohe Award 2019]. tvr.by. National State Television and Radio Company of the Republic of Belarus. Retrieved 11 November 2018.
- Blessing of the shrine of St. George and Divine Liturgy in memory of Vera Rich
- Belarusian Church in London
- The Belarusian Memorial Chapel at spheronarchitects.co.uk
- Дазвол будаваць беларускую царкву ў Лёндане атрыманы
- Каб стварыць беларускую царкву ў Лондане, кітаец вывучыў нашу гісторыю