Church of St George, Hinton St George
|Church of St George|
|Location||Hinton St George, Somerset, England|
|Designated||4 February 1958|
The vestry and north chapel of 1814 are said to be by James Wyatt, however it is more likely to be by Jeffry Wyatt, (later Sir Jeffry Wyattville). The four-stage tower is dated to 1485–95. It is supported by full-height offset corner buttresses, and has battlemented parapets with quatrefoil panels below merlons on the corner and intermediate pinnacles. The weathervane was added in 1756 by Thomas Bagley of Bridgwater. There is a hexagonal south-east corner stair turret. Stage 2 has small light on the north side and a statue niche on the south. All the faces on the two upper stages 2-light mullioned, transomed and traceried window under pointed arched labels, with pierced stone baffles. The clockface is under the east window.
During restoration work the parapet of the tower was examined and a stone was discovered with a carved date of 1731 which suggests that the decorative parapet may have been added then. The tracery on the north side has been marked out but never cut. In general there is little sign of more than one phase of construction although repairs are evident.
Anthony Paulet is buried at St George's. The Paulet mausoleum includes several Earl Poulett family tombs and an effigy of Sir Amias Paulet, which was originally in St Martin-in-the-Fields but later moved to Hinton St George. Between 2007 and 2014 restoration work on the memorial included the replacement of corroded ironwork within the tombs.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St George's Church, Hinton St George.|
- "Church of St George". Images of England. English Heritage. Retrieved 2009-06-07.
- Poyntz Wright, Peter (1981). The Parish Church Towers of Somerset, Their construction, craftsmanship and chronology 1350 - 1550. Avebury Publishing Company. ISBN 0-86127-502-0.
- Dunning, Robert (2007). Somerset Churches and Chapels: Building Repair and Restoration. Halsgrove. p. 41. ISBN 978-1841145921.
- "Church of St George, Hinton St George". Images of England. Retrieved 2008-03-06.
- "Church of St George and churchyard, Hinton St George". Somerset Historic Environment Record. Retrieved 2008-03-06.
- "Sir Amyas Paulet (1536?-1588)". Luminarium. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- Dunning, Robert (1996). Fifty Somerset Churches. Somerset Books. pp. 143–146. ISBN 978-0861833092.
- Historic England. "Church of St George (1056124)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- "Best rescue or repair of a historic place of worship". English Heritage. Retrieved 12 October 2014.