Church of St Mary, Yatton
|Church of St Mary|
View from the south-west
Location within Somerset
|Town or city||Yatton|
The Church of St Mary in central Yatton, Somerset, England, is often called the Cathedral of the Moors due to its size and grandeur in relation to the village. It has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade I listed building.
While the current church was constructed in the 14th century, it is likely that a previous Christian church was located on the same site. The chapel which was added in 1496, and various other alterations and ex[ansions of the church can been seen in the account which have survived since 1445.
The central tower, which was built around 1400, has three stages with diagonal weathered buttresses with crocketed pinnacles. There is a south-east hexagonal stair turret rising above the parapet with panelled sides to the top, and an open cusped parapet. Unusually for Somerset a Dundry stone steeple was built in 1455-56. In 1595 freemasons were engaged to take down the spire and reduce it to its present dimensions. There is a ring of bells within the tower. The tower was damaged by fire in 1991, resulting in the fourth bell having to be recast.
- "St. Mary the Virgin, Yatton". Yatton Moor Team Ministry. Retrieved 2012-03-26.
- "Church of St Mary". Images of England. Retrieved 2007-11-19.
- "Church of St Mary". National Heritage List for England. Historic England. Retrieved 24 January 2016.
- Dunning, Robert (2007). Somerset Churches and Chapels: Building Repair and Restoration. Halsgrove. p. 44. ISBN 978-1841145921.
- Dunning, Robert (1996). Fifty Somerset Churches. Somerset Books. pp. 29–32. ISBN 978-0861833092.
- Poyntz Wright, Peter (1981). The Parish Church Towers of Somerset, Their construction, craftsmanship and chronology 1350 - 1550. Avebury Publishing Company. ISBN 0-86127-502-0.
- "Yatton Blessed Virgin Mary". Dove's Guide for Church Bell Ringers. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "History of Yatton and its Ancient Parish Church". Yatton Moor Team Ministry. Retrieved 2012-03-26.
- "The Old Rectory". Images of England. English Heritage. Retrieved 2009-04-09.
Media related to Church of St Mary, Yatton at Wikimedia Commons