Bravo at West Hollywood Gay Pride Parade in 2013
December 7, 1956 (age 61)
|Other names||Little Nugget|
|Occupation||Television personality, comedian and author|
|Known for||Chelsea Lately|
Chuy Bravo (born Jesús Melgoza December 7, 1956) is a Mexican-American actor and entertainer. He was the sidekick of host Chelsea Handler on the talk show Chelsea Lately during its run from 2007 to 2014. He usually relayed comedic relief and was the topic of many of Handler's jokes.
In 2013, Bravo was a competitor on the celebrity diving reality competition show Splash on ABC. However, he suffered a freak injury prior to the competition's first round, breaking his heel, and was forced to withdraw. On the show Bravo said that he was very disappointed about his injury and that he wanted to show the world and a "special someone" (presumably Handler) that he was not lazy; he vowed to return for the second season of Splash if he was asked back and if the series were renewed (it was not).
Chuy has dwarfism, and is 4 feet 3 inches (130 cm) tall.
In 2012, Bravo revealed that he survived prostate cancer, which was treated quickly after it was diagnosed. He also said he is a recovering alcoholic and was nearly homeless at one point in his life. "I have been through a lot in my life... but I've overcome my struggles and now I'm finally living my life."
He also started the Bravo Academy in Los Angeles, stating to have a focus on the Latin community in Hollywood. The academy's purpose is to help its talents participate in different projects in television, cinema and theater.
- Sugey Palomares (December 5, 2012). "Chuy Bravo's Stunning Revelation: 'I'm a Cancer Survivor and a Recovering Alcoholic'". Latina. Retrieved February 24, 2015.
- "Chuy Bravo". TMZ. August 20, 2014.
- Hammer, Mike (July 12, 2013). "Long story short: How Chuy Bravo rose to fame". New York Daily News.
- "ABC formally reveals eight contestants competing on 'Splash' celebrity diving competition". Reality TV World.
- "'Splash' eliminates Ndamukong Suh and loses Chuy Bravo to injury". Reality TV World.
- Ashmar Mandou (July 11, 2013). "Chuy Bravo Brings on the Laughs". Lawndale News.