|Type||Public limited company|
|Founded||1997 as spin out of Novartis|
|Defunct||15 September 2008|
|Fate||Acquired by BASF|
|Successor||BASF Schweiz AG, Zurich|
|Parent||BASF Performance Products Limited|
Ciba was a chemical company based in and near Basel, Switzerland. "Ciba" stood for "Chemische Industrie Basel" (Chemical Industries Basel) and was formed when the non-pharmaceuticals elements of Novartis were spun out in 1997, following the merger in the previous year of Ciba-Geigy and Sandoz that created Novartis.
In 2008, Ciba was acquired by the German chemical company BASF and, in April 2009, integrated into the BASF group. Ciba AG initially continued to trade under the old name, but was renamed to BASF Schweiz AG in March 2010.
The BASF subsidiary makes products in the following areas: Agriculture, Automotive, Construction & Pipes, Electronic materials, Extractive & Process Technologies, Home & Fabric Care, Inks & Graphics, Lubricants, Monomers & Water Soluble Polymers, Packaging, Paints and Coatings, Paper, Personal Care, Photo & Digital Imaging, Plastics & Rubber, Textiles & Fibers, Water treatment.
The company first came to life under the name "Gesellschaft fur Chemische Industrie", and eventually settled on an acronym of Chemische Industrie Basel sometime after 1920.
Part of the merger agreement of 1997, between Ciba Geigy and Sandoz, was that the former's industrial chemicals business would be spun off as a separate business, leading to the formation of Ciba Specialty Chemicals plc.
In 2007, the company announced the intention to adopt the name Ciba Inc.
In 2009, the parent company changed the name to BASF Performance Products Limited – BASF group.
- Journal, Margaret StuderSpecial to The Wall Street. "Ciba Specialty Chemicals' Value Put at $4.23 Billion for Sell-Off". WSJ. Retrieved 2023-05-10.
- Medienmitteilung von BASF vom 20. November 2008: „Definitives Endergebnis für Ciba-Angebot beträgt 94,59 Prozent“[permanent dead link]
- Medienmitteilung von Ciba und BASF vom 9. April 2009
- Welcome to Ciba
- Eine Marke verschwindet: Die Ciba heisst nun BASF Schweiz AG. Archived 2016-04-27 at the Wayback Machine In: Basler Zeitung, 1. März 2010
- "Ciba Product Finder - Search". 2004-12-11. Archived from the original on 2004-12-11. Retrieved 2023-01-20.
- Prelog, Vladimir; Jeger, Oskar (1980). "Leopold Ruzicka (13 September 1887 – 26 September 1976)". Biogr. Mem. Fellows R. Soc. 26: 411–501. doi:10.1098/rsbm.1980.0013.
- "Ciba Specialty Chemical acquires Raisio Chemicals". Interempresas. Retrieved 2023-01-20.
- "Huntsman Completes Purchase of Ciba Specialty Chemicals' Textile Effects Business". Huntsman Corporation. Retrieved 2023-01-20.
- Kuehnen, Eva (15 September 2008). "BASF bids $3 bln for Switzerland's Ciba". Reuters. Retrieved 2008-09-15.