Ciba Specialty Chemicals
|Founded||1997 as spin out of Novartis|
|Defunct||15 September 2008|
|Fate||Acquired by BASF|
Ciba was a chemical company based in and near Basel, Switzerland. "Ciba" stood for "Chemische Industrie Basel" (Chemical Industries Basel). It was formed as the non-pharmaceuticals elements of Novartis were spun out in 1997, following the merger in the previous year of Ciba-Geigy and Sandoz that created Novartis.
In 2008, Ciba was acquired by the German chemical company BASF and, in April 2009, integrated into the BASF group. Ciba AG initially continued to trade under the old name, but was renamed to BASF Schweiz AG in March 2010.
The BASF subsidiary makes products in the following areas: Agriculture, Automotive, Construction & Pipes, Electronic materials, Extractive & Process Technologies, Home & Fabric Care, Inks & Graphics, Lubricants, Monomers & Water Soluble Polymers, Packaging, Paints and Coatings, Paper, Personal Care, Photo & Digital Imaging, Plastics & Rubber, Textiles & Fibers, Water treatment 
The company first came to life under the name "Gesellschaft fur Chemische Industrie", and eventually settled on an acronym of Chemische Industrie Basel sometime after 1920.
Part of the merger agreement of 1997 between Ciba Geigy and Sandoz was that the former's industrial chemicals business would be spun off as a separate business, leading to the formation of Ciba Specialty Chemicals plc.
In 2007, the company announced the intention to adopt the name Ciba Inc.
In 2009, the company changed the name to BASF Performance Products Limited - BASF group.
Board of directors
- Michael Heinz Chief Executive Officer
- Armin Meyer Chairman of the Board
- Beat W. Hess Vice Chairman of the Board
- Utz-Hellmuth Felcht Member of the Board
- Erwin W. Heri Member of the Board
- Gertrud Höhler Member of the Board
- Jean-Marie Pierre Lehn Member of the Board
- Peter Littmann Member of the Board
- Uli Sigg Member of the Board
- Medienmitteilung von BASF vom 20. November 2008: „Definitives Endergebnis für Ciba-Angebot beträgt 94,59 Prozent“[permanent dead link]
- Medienmitteilung von Ciba und BASF vom 9. April 2009
- Welcome to Ciba
- Eine Marke verschwindet: Die Ciba heisst nun BASF Schweiz AG. Archived 2016-04-27 at the Wayback Machine In: Basler Zeitung, 1. März 2010
- Prelog, Vladimir; Jeger, Oskar (1980). "Leopold Ruzicka (13 September 1887 – 26 September 1976)". Biogr. Mem. Fellows R. Soc. 26: 411–501. doi:10.1098/rsbm.1980.0013.
- Kuehnen, Eva (15 September 2008). "BASF bids $3 bln for Switzerland's Ciba". Reuters. Retrieved 2008-09-15.