|Cielito F. Habito|
|8th Director-General of the National Economic and Development Authority
Concurrently Secretary of Socio-Economic Planning
June 30, 1992 – June 30, 1998
|President||Fidel V. Ramos|
|Preceded by||Cayetano Paderanga, Jr.|
|Succeeded by||Felipe Medalla|
April 20, 1953 |
Cabuyao City, Laguna
|Residence||Los Baños, Laguna|
|Alma mater||Harvard University
University of New England
University of the Philippines Los Baños
Philippine Science High School
Cielito Flores Habito (born April 20, 1953 in Cabuyao City, Laguna) or "Ciel" Habito is a Filipino economist, professor, and columnist. He served concurrently as the Director-General of the National Economic and Development Authority and Socio-Economic Planning Secretary during the Ramos administration.
He is one of the 1991 Ten Outstanding Young Men Awardees for Economics.
Early life and Education
Habito was born on April 20, 1953 in Cabuyao City, Laguna. He studied at the Maquiling School in Los Baños for grade school, then at the Philippine Science High School for secondary education. He attended the University of the Philippines Los Baños for his tertiary education, earning a degree in Agriculture, major in Agricultural Economics and graduating Summa Cum Laude.
He then attended the University of New England in Armidale, New South Wales, Australia, where he earned a Master of Economics degree. He also obtained a Master of Arts in Economics and a Doctor of Philosophy in Economics at the Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Habito currently teaches Economics at the Ateneo de Manila University. He was also director of the Ateneo Center for Economic Research and Development, a research unit in economics and economic policy at the same university, before being succeeded by Dr. Leonardo Lanzona.
He writes a weekly column entitled No Free Lunch in the Philippine Daily Inquirer's opinion section. From August 2003 to June 2010, he wrote for the same newspaper's business section. Before writing for the Inquirer, his column was formerly published at The Manila Times.
- International Center for Innovation, Transformation and Excellence in Governance. Cielito Habito. . Accessed 11 July 2012.
- APFED Policy Dialogue on CSR for Env. Mgt and Sustainable Devt in Asia and the Pacific. . Accessed 18 October 2010.
- National Economic and Development Authority. , Retrieved, 2 October 2010.
- The Philippine Daily Inquirer. , Manila, 22 June 2010. Retrieved, 2 October 2010.
- orosa.org. , Retrieved, 2 October 2010.
- Ateneo Center for Economic Research and Development. School of Social Sciences (as of 2012).
- The Manila Times. , 24 July 2011. Retrieved, 12 July 2012.
- Philippine Daily Inquirer. , 6 February 2012. Retrieved, 12 July 2012.
- National Book Store Online. , Retrieved, 12 July 2012.
- No Free Lunch, Philippine Daily Inquirer Latest Columns of Dr. Habito
Cayetano Paderanga, Jr.
|Director-General of the National Economic and Development Authority
1992 – 1998