Cielo de Angelina
|Cielo de Angelina|
|Also known as||Angelina's Sky|
|Directed by||Omar Deroca|
|Opening theme||"Natutulog Ba ang Diyos?" by Jonalyn Viray & Jillian Ward|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|No. of episodes||55|
|Executive producer(s)||Nora Javellana|
|Camera setup||Multiple-camera setup|
|Running time||30-45 minutes|
|Original network||GMA Network|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Original release||October 22, 2012– January 4, 2013|
Cielo de Angelina (International title: Angelina's Sky / lit. Heaven from Angelina) is a Philippine television drama series broadcast by GMA Network. Directed by Omar Deroca, it stars Bea Binene in the title role. It premiered on October 22, 2012 on the network's late morning line up and worldwide on October 24, 2012 on GMA Pinoy TV. The series concluded on January 4, 2013 with a total of 55 episodes.
The series follows the life and love of Angelina, an orphan girl who was left by the door of El Cielo Shelter for Destitute Women and Abandoned Children one stormy night. Marco, a four-year-old stowaway was there when Sister Margaret picked the baby. Because of being abandoned, Marco and Angelina treated the shelter as their home.
Through the years, Marcos serves as the older brother of Angelina especially when her best friend, Julie was adopted. Since then, it was Marco who helped Angelina on her longing for Julie. It was also Marco who will help Angelina in trying to find out what was left by her parents when she was abandoned. But when Angelina tries to get the clue inside Sister Margaret's office, a fire breaks out in another part of the shelter causing the latter to die.
Separation ensued when Angelina was adopted and in turn leaving Marco in the orphanage. While Angelina is living a tormented life with her stepmother Czarina and stepsister Rhoda, Marco now acts very distant from her.
Cast and characters
- Bea Binene as Angelina Nantes
- An orphan girl who was left on the doorstep of an orphanage run by nuns, one stormy night. There, she grows up with Marco, who also serves as her older brother. Marco also helps Angelina to search for her parents. But just as they were on to something, Angelina is adopted and thus begins her life of torment.
- Jake Vargas as Marco Sevilla
- When he was a little boy when he witnessed Angelina's arrival as a baby in El Cielo. Since then, he has acted as an older brother figure to her, especially when her best friend, Julie was adopted. He will soon find himself falling in love with Angelina. But under the circumstances, his love will remain undeclared and unrequited.
- Gloria Romero as Sor Margaret
- The head nun who owns and runs the El Cielo Shelter for Destitute Women and Abandoned Children, the orphanage where Angelina grew up. She also holds the key to unraveling Angelina's mysterious past.
- Jessa Zaragoza as Congresswoman Theresa Alfonso
- A successful woman with a traumatic past. Despite her success and wealth, she feels that there's a big part of her life that is missing.
- Gerald Madrid as Benjamin "Benjie" Nantes
- Angelina’s adoptive father. He is wealthy architect who will become the hapless victim of Czarina’s evilness.
- Isabel Granada as Czarina
- The scheming arch-enemy of the story. She is Benjie Nantes' vindictive mistress who will stop at nothing to get what she wants. She and her daughter, Rhoda will make life difficult for Angelina.
- Baby O'Brien as Miriam "Mamer" Dela Guardia
- A wealthy and influential woman who has a big heart for children. She adopted Julie/Marian in two purposes – to have a child she can call her own and to have an heir for her vast properties.
- Victor Basa as Frank Cordero
- The resident doctor of El Cielo Shelter. Dr. Cordero is a wealthy and handsome doctor who has a big heart for the less fortunate. He eventually falls in love with Elaine, a single mother.
- Roxanne Barcelo as Elaine
- A mother and a resident of El Cielo Shelter for Destitute Women and Abandoned Children. She rebuilds her life after being abandoned by her boyfriend with the help of Dr. Frank, her newfound love.
- Hiro Peralta as James Aragon
- Considered as "Mr. Campus Heartthrob" of St. Isadore, James is a classic "born with a silver spoon in his mouth" – bratty and arrogant. He eventually falls in love with Angelina. But the latter's closeness with Marco makes him jealous and will cause friction between them.
- Ashley Ortega as Marian "Julie" Dela Guardia
- Julie and Angelina form a bond as children in El Cielo, only to lose each other as they grow up.
- Yassi Pressman as Rhoda
- Czarina's only daughter, and like her mother, she is also a self-centered and scheming young lady whose habit is making Angelina's life unbearable.
- Stephanie Sol as Perlita Zulueta
- The supportive friend of Angelina and the mother of Marco. The best friend of Theresa, she is the only surrogate not to be killed, but failed by the one of the certain's guards. She is caring towards Angelina because she reminds her of Theresa's changed.
- Jillian Ward as young Angelina Nantes
- Miggy Jimenez as young Marco Sevilla
- Elijah Alejo as young Marian "Julie" Dela Guardia
- Rina Reyes as Sister Elena
- Debraliz Borres as Sister Susan
- Kathleen Hermosa as Marilyn Nantes
- Izzy Trazona-Aragon as Dena
- Vangie Labalan as Rosario
- Biboy Ramirez as Armando
- Renz Valerio as Keith
- Lindt Johnston as Kelly
- Nicole Dulalia as Bernie
- Jolo Romualdez as Randy
- Maey Bautista as Yaya Simang
- Derick Lim as Elly
- Jak Roberto as Andrei
- Marco Masa
Production and development
Cielo de Angelina is the very first television production of GMA Films for GMA Network. Film outfit’s key persons, Annette Gozon-Abrogar (President) and Jose Mari Abacan (Supervising Producer and GMA Network’s Vice President for Program Management) come up with the idea to produce a light yet inspiring drama series intended for the network’s morning timeslot, and to pit against the rival station’s romantic-comedy series, as well. “It will be a test as to which genre between drama and comedy will really get public attentions,” Abacan said. The production team began developing the storyline in July 2012, under the title “Angelina del Cielo”, with theme focusing on love, friendship, and family The producer hired first-timer director Omar Deroca to helm the series. Production began on October 5, 2012 in Montalban, Rizal. Locations were chosen by the series’ production designer, Potchi Manda, due to the area's calmly and provincial-type surroundings.
GMA Films chose teen actors Bea Binene and Jake Vargas to lead their first television venture. Before they started filming the series, Binene and Vargas talked about the acting they will do in the soap [including the approach to their characters]. “We didn’t attend workshops. But we are used to doing drama. We already have an idea on what to do. That’s perhaps our preparation,” Vargas said.
Jessa Zaragoza was chosen to play Theresa Alfonso, the main protagonist’s biological mother. The singer-actress stated that it’s her first time doing a character of a politician and revealed that Lucy Torres is her peg for her role. Mico Palanca was originally cast as Benjamin Nantes, but due to “unprofessionalism” and “he doesn’t want to play a father role” issues, he was replaced by Gerald Madrid. Drastic revisions were made to the script. The writers found that they had to adjust the character of Benjamin to suit for Madrid.
The classic Filipino inspirational song, “Natutulog Ba Ang Diyos?” (lit. Is God Sleeping?) was used as the series’ theme song. It was written and composed by Nonong Buencamino. The lyrics tell of a person asking questions why difficulties exists in life, was God really sleeping.
The show used seven versions of the song throughout its run: the main theme, which was performed by Jonalyn Viray; duet versions of the song performed by Jillian Ward and Viray, and Ward and Bea Binene; solo versions of Binene, Jessa Zaragoza, and Jake Vargas; and the trio version of song performed by Viray, Ward and Binene.
- "Aga sa Bicol na nakatira! - ABOUT SHOWBIZ Ni Nitz Miralles - Pilipino Star Ngayon » Pilipino Star Ngayon Sections » Showbiz". Philstar.com. 2012-09-15. Retrieved 2012-10-08.
- "Bea Binene and Jake Vargas topbill GMA-7's new morning drama series Angelina del Cielo". Retrieved September 21, 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-04-16. Retrieved 2012-10-21.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-10-27. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-04-16. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-10-20. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- Santiago, Erwin (October 24, 2012). "AGB Nielsen Mega Manila Household Ratings (Oct. 19-22): GMA-7 conquers daytime; ABS-CBN leads primetime". Retrieved March 2, 2018.
- "AGB Nielsen Mega Manila Household Ratings (January 3-6, 2013): Party Pilipinas rules Sunday noontime slot". January 8, 2013. Retrieved March 2, 2018.