Wood during his colliegiate career with Notre Dame
|No. 41 Buffalo Bills|
|Date of birth:||February 21, 1991|
|Place of birth:||Bloomington, California|
|Height:||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight:||226 lb (103 kg)|
|High school:||Oxnard (CA) Santa Clara|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Roster status:||Active Roster|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 4, 2015|
|Stats at NFL.com|
Cierre Marcelle Wood (born February 21, 1991) is an American football running back who is currently a member of the Buffalo Bills in the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Notre Dame. He has been a member of the Houston Texans, the New England Patriots, and the Buffalo Bills.
High school career
Wood attended Santa Clara High School in Oxnard, California. He rushed for 1,632 yards and 20 TDs and caught eight passes for 182 yards and four TDs as a senior. During his junior year, he had 2,612 yards rushing with 34 TDs. Wood was a USA Today All-American in 2008. He was also selected to play in the 2009 U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio, Texas.
After redshirting in 2009, Wood emerged on the depth chart as the No. 2 running back in 2010. He was used sparingly over the first few games, but after an injury to starter Armando Allen, he started the final six games where he recorded 603 yards on 119 carries and 3 TDs, and 20 receptions for 170 yards and 2 TD's. In his junior year, he took over the starting role. He recorded 1,102 yards on 217 carries (5.1 AVG) and 9 TD's, and 27 receptions for 187 yards. In 2012, Wood had been suspended for the opening two games, against Navy and Purdue, for violating team rules. In the final 11 games, he rushed for 742 yards on 114 carries (6.5 avg) and four touchdowns after splitting carries with classmate Theo Riddick.
2013 NFL Draft
In January 2013, Wood decided to forgo his final year of eligibility, entering the 2013 NFL Draft. He went undrafted and was signed as an free agent with the Houston Texans hours after the draft.
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|5 ft 11 in||213 lb||4.46 s||1.56 s||2.52 s||4.29 s||6.87 s||37.5 in||10 ft 4 in||18 reps|
|All values from NFL Combine|
The Texans released Wood, along with two others players, on October 21 for unspecified violations of team rules prior to a game in Kansas City.
New England Patriots
The New England Patriots signed Wood to their practice squad on November 5, 2013. He was released on December 26, 2013.
He was signed by the Seahawks to the practice squad on November 12, 2014.
The Buffalo Bills signed Wood to their roster on August 19, 2015. On September 4, 2015, he was released by the Bills. On September 6, 2015, the Bills signed Wood to their practice squad. Wood was promoted to the Bills active roster on Friday October 2.
- "Notre Dame suspends starting RB Cierre Wood". Yahoo Sports. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- Schad, Joe (January 14, 2013). "Notre Dame Fighting Irish RB Cierre Wood to enter NFL draft, cites family". ESPN.com.
- Bien, Louis (28 April 2013). "Undrafted Free Agents 2013: Collin Klein Among 23 New Texans Post-Draft". SB Nation. Retrieved 29 April 2013.
- Ganguli, Tania (October 21, 2013). "Sources: Pot reason Texans cut 3". ESPN.com. Retrieved October 22, 2013.
- Ravens Sign Wood
- Ravens Trim Roster Down To 75
- Seahawks' defensive tackle Mebane goes on IR
- Brown, Chris (September 4, 2015). "Leodis McKelvin to Reserve/NFI as Bills release 16". BuffaloBills.com. Retrieved September 14, 2015.
- "Bills add C Gabe Ikard to 53-man roster; Five signed to practice squad". BuffaloBills.com. September 6, 2015. Retrieved September 14, 2015.