|Founded||1992, as Reliable Software Technologies, renamed in 2000 to Cigital|
|Headquarters||Dulles, VA, U. S.|
Number of locations
|Atlanta, Bangalore, Bloomington, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Minneapolis, New York, Santa Clara, Seattle, London|
|Services||Architecture Analysis, Ethical Hacking, Penetration Testing, Static Analysis, Training, Policy Development|
Number of employees
|400 security consultants|
Cigital is a software security firm, based in Dulles, VA. Services include application security testing, penetration testing, and architecture analysis. Cigital also provides instructor-led security training and products such as SecureAssist, a static analysis tool that acts as an application security spellchecker for developers.
Cigital was established in 1992 with grants from DARPA  In 1999 the firm created ITS4, which according to Cigital, was the world's first static analysis tool. The technology in this product was eventually licensed to Kleiner Perkins and used as the basis for the creation of Fortify Software in 1999. In 2010, Fortify was acquired by Hewlett Packard for $300 million.
BSIMM (Build Security In Maturity Model) is a software security measurement framework that helps organizations compare their software security to other organizations. BSIMM was started as a joint project by Cigital and Fortify Software.
In 2002, Cigital announced finding a vulnerability in Visual C++ .Net compiler (related to a GS compiler flag being inefficient). Cigital was criticized for not following responsible disclosure in this case, however, Cigital has defended its position due to the nature of the vulnerability.
Cigital SecureAssist identifies security bugs within the IDE and provides custom guidance to developers in reducing defects in future development. BuildSecure eLibrary is an online portal containing a suite of software security training classes. Enterprise Security Portal tracks identified security bugs and checks for omissions to ensure a thorough analysis of the software. Cigital has published 20 books and research articles on software security. In 2009, they found that poker games such as Texas Hold 'em involve considerable skill.
- Cigital Inc. profile
- "The Cigital Story". Cigital. May 2016. Retrieved May 27, 2016.
- Schafer, Sarah (January 25, 2001). "Cigital Helps Wired World Stay That Way; Dulles Firm Works to Minimize Its Clients' Risks of Software Failure". The Washington Post. Retrieved October 12, 2014 – via HighBeam Research. (Subscription required (. ))
- Johnston, Nicholas (August 26, 2002). "Cigital Sees Secure Opportunities; Already Profitable, the 10-Year- Old Software Maker Is Poised to Grow". The Washington Post. Retrieved October 12, 2014 – via HighBeam Research. (Subscription required (. ))
- Overly, Steven (October 7, 2013). "The Download: Dulles-Based Cigital Secures $50M from Private Equity Firm LR Partners (Posted 2013-10-07 15:56:28) ; Software Security Firm Brings in Private Equity Shop to Expand in Existing Markets, Reach New Ones". The Washington Post. Retrieved October 12, 2014 – via HighBeam Research. (Subscription required (. ))
- King, Mason (October 7, 2013). "Town, gown and techies team up in Bloomington". Indianapolis Business Journal. Retrieved April 9, 2012 – via HighBeam Research. (Subscription required (. ))
- Smeltz, Adam (October 7, 2013). "Hackers Who Attack U.S. in Line for Lucrative Payoffs". Pittsburgh Tribune Review. Retrieved October 27, 2012 – via HighBeam Research. (Subscription required (. ))
- Calnan, Christopher. "Praetorian pours profits into new products". Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- "Reliable Software Technologies Corp.". SBIRSource. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- "ITS4: Software Security Tool". Retrieved 21 April 2015.
- Rao, Leena. "HP Acquires Software Security Company Fortify". Tech Crunch.
- McGraw, Gary; rian Chess; Sammy Migues (March 16, 2009). "Software [In]security: The Building Security In Maturity Model (BSIMM)". InformIT. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- The Rocky Road To More Secure Code, Wall Street and Technology
- New Effort Hopes to Improve Software Security, Wall Street Journal
- Microsoft's New 'Compiler' Program Has Security Flaw, Consultancy Says. WSJ
- Flaw spotted in new Microsoft tool. CNet
- "Net Security Company Reports Flaw". Associated Press. February 15, 2002. Retrieved October 12, 2014 – via HighBeam Research. (Subscription required (. ))
- Was Cigital security warning too hasty? CNet
- "Cigital Releases Software Security Training For Developers". Dark Reading. August 12, 2010. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- "Cigital Partners with FS-ISAC to Provide Training to Members".
- "At war with luck". The Economist. July 10, 2010. Retrieved October 27, 2012 – via HighBeam Research. (Subscription required (. ))
- "Cigital's Bloomington Office Makes a Big Splash in the Midwest: Cloud Services for Application Security". Cigital. September 30, 2013. Retrieved 27 May 2016.
- "Insight into Scaling Automated Code Review". Cigital. September 30, 2013. Retrieved 27 May 2016.
- "Synopsys (SNPS) to Acquire Cigital and Codiscope". StreetInsider.com. Retrieved 11 November 2016.