Cijin District, Kaohsiung
|Qijin District |
Cijin District in Kaohsiung City
|Population (January 2016)|
|Website||Official Website (Chinese)|
Cijin District (Chinese: 旗津區; Hanyu Pinyin: Qíjīn Qū; Tongyong Pinyin: Cíjin Cyu; Wade–Giles: Ch'i2-chin1 Ch'ü1; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Kî-tin-khu) is a district of Kaohsiung City, Taiwan, covering Cijin Island. It is the second smallest district in Kaohsiung City after Yancheng District.
Cijin Island was once connected to the mainland at the southern tip, but in 1967, this link was severed to create a second entry point to the Port of Kaohsiung.
Two islands and one reef in the South China Sea are administered by Kaohsiung City as parts of Cijin District:
- Pratas Islands (aka Dongsha Islands) (simplified Chinese: 东沙群岛; traditional Chinese: 東沙群島; pinyin: Dōngshā Qúndǎo)
- Taiping Island (simplified Chinese: 太平岛; traditional Chinese: 太平島; pinyin: Tàipíng Dǎo)
- Zhongzhou Reef (Chinese: 中洲礁; pinyin: Zhōngzhōu Jiāo)
Most of its residents are employed by the shipping industry. There is a park on the north western shore.
- Cijin Shell Museum
- Cijin Wind Turbine Park
- Kaohsiung Lighthouse
- Qihou Fort
- Rainbow Church
- YM Museum of Marine Exploration Kaohsiung
The "Cross Harbor Tunnel" (Chinese: 過港隧道) connects Cijin Island at the EBC[clarification needed] tip to the rest of Kaohsiung on mainland Taiwan. Cijin District is also accessible by two ferries at the northern tip and middle of the island.
Cihou Lighthouse on Cijin Island.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cijin District, Kaohsiung.|
- "Glossary of Names for Admin Divisions" (PDF). placesearch.moi.gov.tw. Ministry of Interior of the ROC. Retrieved 12 June 2015.
|This article about a location in Taiwan is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|