Russell 2000 Component
Number of employees
|Footnotes / references|
Cimpress plc is an Irish company that invests in and operates a wide variety of businesses that use mass customization to configure and produce small quantities of individually customized goods. Those products are sold to small businesses, graphic designers and consumers through a number of customer-facing brands that Cimpress operates.
Cimpress is a conglomerate that specializes in mass customization, based in Dundalk, Ireland employing more than 10,000 people globally across manufacturing, marketing, technology, software development, sales and support functions. It has offices and manufacturing facilities throughout Europe, North and South America, India, Australia, Philippines, China and Japan.
Cimpress aggregates, via the Internet, large volumes of small, individually customized orders for a broad spectrum of print, signage, apparel and similar products.
The company was founded under the name Bonne Impression in 1995 in Paris, France by current President and CEO Robert Keane. It was a direct marketer of desktop publishing software and pre-printed laser-printer-compatible specialty papers for printing brochures, stationery and business cards from the desktops – focused on small business customers. In 1999, the company moved its business to the internet and changed its name to Vistaprint.
This was followed by its initial public offering in 2005 when it began trading on the Nasdaq under VPRT.
In November 2014, the company changed its name from Vistaprint N.V. to Cimpress N.V. to clarify the distinction between the corporate entity and the company’s portfolio of customer-facing brands.
Cimpress has acquired several companies that specialize in online printing and mass customization.
In November 2011, Cimpress acquired Albumprinter which it later divested in 2017, a company based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands that produces photobooks and Webs, a company based in Silver Spring, Maryland, that enables users to create free websites.
In 2014 Global printing heavyweight Vistaprint acquired a $25 million minority position in Brazilian web-printing startup Printi.
In 2014, Cimpress acquired People & Print Group (renamed Printdeal as of January 1, 2015), an online printing company based in Deventer, Netherlands. In the same year, it acquired Pixartprinting, an online printing company based in Quarto d'Altino, Italy.
4 years later, in 2018, Cimpress acquired BuildASign, an online printing company based in Austin, Texas for $280 million. BuildASign will keep its company name as well as its website. 
- "US SEC: Form 10-K Cimpress N.V." U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- "Form 10-K". Cimpress Investor Relations. Retrieved 15 August 2015.
- "Q3 2016 Financial and Operating Metrics". ir.cimpress.com. Cimpress. Retrieved 28 April 2016.
- "Cimpress Total Employees (Annual) (CMPR)". ycharts.com. Retrieved 2018-07-02.
- "From Startup To 500 Million Dollars: VistaPrint CEO Robert Keane". One Million to One Million. Retrieved 15 September 2015.
- "Initial Public Offering Filing". NASDAQ. Cimpress Investor Relations. Retrieved 30 September 2005.
- Brown, Rodney (9 December 2011). "Vistaprint to acquire Webs.com for $118 million". American City Business Journals.
- Symington, Steve. "Cimpress N.V. Finishes an "Important" Year". The Motley Fool. Retrieved 2018-07-02.
- "Vistaprint to Acquire Dutch Firm - Analyst Blog". 19 February 2014. Retrieved 19 February 2014.
- Nias, Simon. "Vistaprint acquires Pixartprinting in €127m deal". Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- Cronin, Mike. "Vistaprint owner acquires BuildASign for $280M". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2019-02-22.
- "Printing giant Vistaprint acquires 99designs". techcrunch.com. 2020-10-05. Retrieved 2020-10-05.
- Sally, Roberts (7 November 2016). "Cimpress, mass-customization printing company, is coming to Reno". Northern Nevada Business Weekly. Retrieved 10 January 2017.