Cineca is a non-profit consortium, made up of 70 Italian universities, four national research centres, and the Ministry of Universities and Research (MIUR), and was established in 1969 in Casalecchio di Reno, Bologna.
It is the most powerful supercomputing centre for scientific research in Italy, as stated in the TOP500-list of the most powerful supercomputers in the world: Fermi, the supercomputing system IBM Blue Gene/Q installed in June 2012, and ranked at the 7th position on the list, in 2015 is ranked at the 23rd position.
The consortium's institutional mission is to support the Italian scientific community through supercomputing and scientific visualisation tools. Since the end of the 1980s, Cineca has broadened the scope of its mission by embracing other IT sectors, developing management and administrative services for universities and designing ICT systems for the exchange of information between the MIUR and the Italian national academic system. The consortium is also strongly committed to transfer technology to many categories of users, from public administration to the private enterprises.
Today it merges the specificities and competences of the other two Italian high performance computing consortia, Cilea and Caspur: as a unique reference point for technology innovation in Italy, with its services Cineca supports the whole higher education and research system.
Cineca takes part in several research projects funded by the European Union for the promotion and development of IT technologies (grid computing, bioinformatic, digital content, the promotion of transnational access to European supercomputing centres, etc.).
It supports the scientific community by means of high performance computing, develops management systems for the university administrations and for the Ministry of Universities and Research, designs and develops information systems for businesses, health care organizations and public administration.
The year in brackets indicates when the university joined the consortium.
- Polytechnic University of Bari
- Polytechnic University of Milan
- Polytechnic University of Turin
- University of Bari (2003)
- University of Basilicata (2011)
- University of Bergamo (2006)
- University of Bologna (1967, founding member)
- University of Brescia
- University of Cagliari (2012)
- University of Calabria
- University of Camerino (2003)
- University of Cassino (2008)
- University of Catania (1980)
- University of Chieti,
- Kore University of Enna
- University of Ferrara (1980)
- University of Florence
- University of Genoa (2010)
- University of Insubria (2003)
- University of L'Aquila (2011)
- University of Macerata (1999)
- University of Messina (1999)
- University of Milan Bicocca
- University of Molise (2010)
- University of Naples
- Parthenope University of Naples
- University of Padua (1967, founding member)
- University of Pavia (2003)
- IUSS of Pavia (2014)
- University of Perugia (2008)
- University of Pisa (2003)
- University of Reggio Calabria
- Sapienza University of Rome
- University of Rome III (2011)
- University of Sannio (2011)
- University of Sassari (2010)
- University of Siena (1980)
- University of Trento (1980)
- University of Trieste (1980)
- University of Turin (2006)
- University of Udine (1980)
- University of Modena and Reggio Emilia
- Second University of Naples
- University of Parma
- University for Foreigners Perugia
- Marche Polytechnic University
- University of Salento
- University of Salerno
- University of Urbino
- University of Venice
- University IUAV of Venice
- University of Verona
- National Research Council (CNR)
- National Institute of Oceanography and Experimental Geophysics (OGS)
- Ministry of University and Research (MIUR).
- Grid computing
- Pico (supercomputer), The supercomputer installed at CINECA's data center
- Top500 List - November 2013, retrieved 19 February 2014