Outside the Cinefamily, Night
|Address||611 North Fairfax Avenue|
Los Angeles, California 90036
|Opened||October 31, 2007|
|Closed||November 14, 2017|
The Cinefamily was a non-profit cinematheque located in West Hollywood, California at the historic Silent Movie Theatre. The Cinefamily's mission statement was to "reinvigorate the movie-going experience by fostering a spirit of community and a sense of discovery." 
Cinefamily followed a member-based ticketing system by which a tax-deductible donation provides universal access to all screenings and events. There was an individual ticket system in effect for non-members or those who did not make a pledge commitment.
In 2007, Hadrian Belove (co-founder of Cinefile Video, a specialty video store), along with brothers Dan and Sammy Harkham (owners of the nearby Family bookstore,) founded The Cinefamily. The Cinefamily officially opened its doors on Halloween of 2007.
Sexual misconduct allegations
In August 2017, an anonymous email was sent to Cinefamily members. The email detailed a 2014 sexual harassment allegation against Belove that resulted in a settlement and accused Shadie Elnashai, vice president of the board of directors, of "raping multiple women." Both men subsequently resigned, and Cinefamily itself suspended all operations as of 26 August 2017. Brie Larson, a member of the Cinefamily advisory board, announced she was stepping aside from the organization for the foreseeable future.
On November 14, 2017, Cinefamily altered its website so that only a text statement appeared. The Board of Directors formally announced the end of the organization following an independent inquiry into the allegations.
The independent inquiry was protested by many former employees and members who felt the investigation lacked transparency. Many print and online articles were published detailing the labor abuses committed by Hadrian Belove and ignored by the Board of Directors. 
After many months of silence, Shadie Elnashai released a statement on his personal website denying all charges. Elnashai cites the investigation's lack of findings as proof of his innocence. However, the board of directors at Cinefamily have not released the findings of the investigation, so this is not verifiable.
Cinefamily programming included a wide range of films, from early silents to contemporary features, live comedy, live music, found footage, mixed media and other special events, and extended form post-screening Q&As. They mounted original retrospectives on filmmakers Jim Henson, Jerry Lewis, John Cassavetes, and Andrzej Zulawski and commissioned live film scores by musicians such as No Age, Stephin Merritt and Espers.
Some of Cinefamily’s programming included Animation Breakdown, Don’t Knock the Rock, Everything is Festival!, The Adventures of Pete and Pete and Space Ghost Coast-to-Coast reunion tributes, and women-only pajama party screenings.
In early 2011, The Cinefamily exhibited the Greek independent film Dogtooth, which received an Academy Award nomination within a month of its sold-out run. The Cinefamily also held special screenings of We Need to Talk About Kevin, Margaret, Bullhead, Michael, and Battle Royale.
- Rauzi, Robin (13 June 2006). "Not just the silent treatment on Fairfax" – via LA Times.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-08-12. Retrieved 2015-08-12.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Membership - The Cinefamily".
- Bregman, Adam (16 October 2003). "Obscure? Not here" – via LA Times.
- Foundas, Scott (24 October 2007). "Come Back Into the Dark".
- Saperstein, Pat (24 August 2017). "Brie Larson Speaks Out on 'Upsetting' Cinefamily Sexual Harassment Allegations".
- Yamato, Jen. "Two top Cinefamily leaders resign over anonymous allegations of sexual misconduct". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 31 August 2017.
- Kelley, Seth. "Cinefamily Suspends All Activities Following Sexual Misconduct Allegations". Variety. Retrieved 31 August 2017.
- Kohn, Eric. "Brie Larson, Women of Cinefamily Co-Founder, Calls for 'Further Action' on Sexual Harassment Charges". Indiewire. Retrieved 31 August 2017.
- Ramos, Dino-Ray (15 November 2017). "Cinefamily Permanently Shuts Down After Sexual Harassment Allegations".
- "home". CINEFAMILY ACCOUNTABILITY.
- Swann, Jennifer (18 September 2017). "A Sexual Harassment Scandal Imploded Cinefamily. Can It Be Saved?".
- "Former Employees Of A Beloved LA Movie Theater Describe Sexism In The Workplace".
- Cills, Hazel. "Former Cinefamily Employees Allege Mishandling of Sexual Harassment Claims".
- "Shadie Elnashai Statement". www.shadieelnashai.com.
- Longworth, Karina (20 May 2010). "Hadrian Belove: Pathologically Idiosyncratic Programming".
- Ehrenstein, David (3 June 2009). "Jerry Lewis Retrospective at Cinefamily".
- Longworth, Karina (3 March 2011). "John Cassavetes Series at Cinefamily".
- "The Unbelievable Genius of Andrzej Zulawski – Page 1 – Film+TV – Los Angeles – LA Weekly". Archived from the original on 2012-06-16. Retrieved 2012-06-06.
- Age, No (19 August 2009). "NO AGE - NO MORE R&R: Live Score of "The Bear" at The Cinefamily at The Silent Movie Theater".
- Gladysz, Thomas (8 July 2010). "Six Questions With Stephin Merritt of the Magnetic Fields".
- Turner, Gustavo (4 February 2010). "Cinefamily to Screen Amazing Cult Films From the Silver Lake of the Soviet Era".
- "Around Town: Don Hertzfeldt kicks off Cinefamily's 'Animation Breakdown'". 2 December 2011.
- "Don't Knock the Rock: Films for the vinyl crowd". 12 July 2011.
- "Around town: Strange delights at Cinefamily's Everything Is Festival". 30 June 2011.
- Bradley, Paul T. (21 November 2011). "The Adventures of Pete and Pete Reunion at Cinefamily: Mike Maronna, Danny Tamberelli & Artie...the Strongest Man...in the World".
- Whalen, Brendan (5 December 2011). "Space Ghost Coast-to-Coast Reunion at Cinefamily, With Actors and Animators From Cartoon Network's Superhero Talk Show".
- "No Boys Allowed: Cinefamily's All Girl Pajama Party". L.A. Weekly.
- Longworth, Karina (3 February 2011). "State of the Art House".
- Longworth, Karina (8 December 2011). "We Need to Talk About Kevin Review".
- Longworth, Karina (11 January 2012). "Margaret Starring Anna Paquin, the Best Film of 2011, Gets a Run at Cinefamily".
- "Oscars 2012: Watch an exclusive clip from Belgium's 'Bullhead'". 17 February 2012.
- Anderson, Melissa (16 February 2012). "Oscar-Nominated Bullhead and Michael at Cinefamily".
- "Around Town: 'Battle Royale' finally gets U.S. theatrical release". 23 December 2011.