Cinequest Film Festival
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Location||San Jose and Redwood City, California United States of America|
The Cinequest Film Festival is an annual independent film festival held each March in San Jose, California. The international festival combines the cinematic arts with Silicon Valley’s innovation. It is produced by Cinequest, a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization that is also responsible for Picture The Possibilities and the distribution label Cinequest Mavericks Studio LLC. Cinequest awards the annual Maverick Spirit Awards. In addition to the over 130 World or U.S. premieres from over 30 countries, it hosts writer's events which includes screenwriting competitions, a shorts programs, technology and artistic forums and workshops, student programs, and a theatre organ accompanied silent film. In 2017 the festival was rebranded as the Cinequest Film & VR Festival and expanded beyond downtown San Jose to Redwood City, California. It took place from February 28 to March 12, 2017.
Filmmakers Halfdan Hussey and Kathleen Powell founded Cinequest in 1990. That year the festival showed 60 films in a single theater, the Camera 3 Cinemas in San Jose; 3,000 people attended. By 2013 there were 100,000 attendees. In 2014 the festival showed 84 world premieres, by film makers in 43 countries, including one filmed using an iPhone. For 2017, Cinequest holds events at the California Theatre, Hammer Theatre Center, CinéArts Santana Row 6, Redwood City Century Downtown 20, San Jose Stage, and San Jose State University Yoshihiro Uchida Hall.
Cinequest Film Festival has gained a reputation as a discovery event: Chris Gore's Ultimate Film Festival Survival Guide recommends it as showing "the future of film". USA Today readers voted Cinequest as the best Film Festival.
The festival expanded to ten days in 2000. Cinequest Online was launched in 2004 and Cinequest Mavericks Studio in 2010. In 2017, the festival was rebranded as the Cinequest Film & VR Festival, to reflect the major role of Silicon Valley in developing virtual reality.
Cinequest offers several awards during the festival season. The Maverick Spirit Awards, the Maverick Innovator Awards, and the Media Legacy Awards highlight notable individuals in film and technology. The Maverick Individual awards are given to films at the conclusion of the festival via jury and audience voting.
Maverick Spirit Awards
The Maverick Spirit Award is given to influential individuals who embody the independent and innovative mindset. It is the most prestigious award given at the Cinequest Film Festival. Over the past 27 years, Cinequest has honored the following artists:
Maverick Innovator Awards
The Media Innovator Award honors technologists whose thoughts, methods and innovations have significantly advanced their industries, their careers, and the world. Cinequest has honored the following people:
Media Legacy Awards
The Media Legacy Award, inaugurated in 2014, honors film journalists, "the champions who provide audiences and, thus, life blood for artists and films". Cinequest has honored the following people:
Richard von Busack
Several awards are given on the closing night of the festival to individual films selected either by a panel of judges or by audience surveys and votes. The most noteworthy awards are:
- Top Film - Awarded to the best film in any category
- Best Documentary Feature
- Best First Feature - Awarded for a director's first feature-length film
- Best Short Narrative Film
- Audience Favorite Narrative - Awarded to the most popular narrative film based on audience surveys and screening attendance
- Audience Favorite Documentary - Awarded to the most popular documentary film based om audience surveys and screening attendance
Listed below are all of Cinequest's awards:
Maverick Film Competition
- Maverick Spirit Award (Feature Film)
- Best First Feature
- Best Documentary Feature
- Best Short Narrative
- Best Short Animation
- Best Short Documentary
- Best Student Short
New Visions Program
- New Visions Award (Feature Film)
- Global Vision Award (Feature Film)
- Screenplay Award (1st, 2nd, and 3rd places recognized)
- Audience Award Narrative Feature
- Audience Award Documentary Feature
- Audience Award Short Film
Also awarded at Cinequest:
Kaiser Permanente Thrive Award
Kaiser Permanente Thrive Award is given to the most inspiring and life affirming film.
||This section needs to be updated. (February 2017)|
Short films shown at Cinequest that have received nominations for Academy Awards include:
The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello
Our Time is Up
|2011||The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore (Won)
|2014||"Mr. Hublot (Won)"|
- "Our Vision". www.cinequest.org. Cinequest.
- "Cinequest: We pick the top films at San Jose's famed fest".
- Sebade, Brett; Burt, Kyle (February 28, 2014). "Festival Spotlight Friday: Onwards and Upwards with Cinequest 2014". MovieMaker.
- Dawn, Randee (March 1, 2014). "Cinequest Fest Blends High Tech With Cinematic Arts". Variety.
- "2017 Cinequest Festival Guide" (PDF).
- "10Best Readers' Choice: Best Film Festival winners". USA TODAY.
- Harvey, Dennis (February 17, 2000). "Cinequest expands". Variety.
- Harvey, Dennis (March 10, 2004) [March 9, 2004]. "San Jose fest to fete Arnold". Variety.
- McNary, Dave (September 10, 2010). "Fest-distrib Cinequest bows a prod'n shingle". Variety.
- Veronin, Nick; Edalatpour, Jeffrey (February 22, 2017). "Being There: With new focus on VR, Cinequest aims to spark imagination and transport viewers". Metro Silicon Valley. pp. 10–11.
- Burt, Kyle (March 2014). "Famed Author Neil Gaiman, Matthew Modine, & Father of Cell Phone Cinequest Maverick Spirit Award Recipients" (PDF) (press release). Cinequest. Retrieved February 26, 2017.
- Burt, Kyle (March 2014). "Cinequest Debuts Media Legacy Award" (PDF) (press release). Cinequest. Retrieved February 26, 2017.
- Hussey, Halfdan (March 2015). "Wild Tales: Media Legacy - Anne Thompson". Cinequest. Retrieved February 26, 2017.
- "Cinequest Programming Highlights: Notable Films Receiving Distribution After Cinequest Premiere". Cinequest.
- Daily, G. (2004). "Cinequest's Maverick Approach to Streaming". Emedia. 17 (6): 10–12.