|Studio album by|
|Label||Wea International |
|Producer||Eric K-Roz and Alain J of The Black Rose Corporation|
|MC Solaar chronology|
Cinquième As is the fifth studio album by MC Solaar, and was released in 2001. It is slightly different from his previous works because of a stronger emphasis on a string background. The album gained exposure in the United States after "La Belle et le Bad Boy" was heard on an episode of Sex and the City. Musically, the album features more R&B themes featuring a layering of a female voice on a few tracks, and it is especially notable and true to the MC Solaar character which is strong emotion expressed in the delivery and lyrics. The album pays tribute to Senegal, where he spent his childhood. He uses the album to condemn the role of the World Bank in developing nations. This is most apparent on the track "Les Colonies," where the lyrics state, "Dans cette ère de négoce où ne vivent que les big boss/ Rentabilité - instabilité - imbécillité/ N'ont fait qu'augmenter les taux de mortalité," meaning, "In this era of trade where only the big bosses live/ Profitability - instability - imbecility/ Have done nothing but increase rates of mortality," referring to policies of the International Monetary Fund and World Bank.
MC Solaar also discusses the condition of African immigrants in France. He himself emigrated with his family to the suburbs of Paris as a teenager, and he talks about this experience in the song "Leve-toi et rap". MC Solaar's message is seen throughout the lyrics and the visual design of the album. The album cover is a picture of a group of men, including the artist himself, all shirtless, as if trying to convey an image of slaves about to embark on a slave ship. However, upon taking a closer look, it appears that the men are African wrestlers. The theme of wrestling and fighters pays homage to the African presence in France.
- Introdiction – 1:53
- "Solaar Pleure" – 4:57
- "Lève-Toi et Rap" – 3:29
- "Les Colonies" – 4:01
- "Hasta la vista mi amor!" (intro) – 0:15
- "Hasta la vista mi amor!" – 3:23 -Produced by Kurser/ Fabrice
- "La Belle et le Bad Boy" – 3:12 -Produced by Kurser/ Fabrice
- "La La La, La" – 3:51 -Produced by Kurser/ Fabrice
- "Arkansas" – 1:39
- "Baby Love" – 4:07
- "Dégâts collatéraux" – 4:00 -Produced by Kurser/ Fabrice
- "RMI" – 4:19
- "C'est ça que les gens veulent" (feat. 9respect) – 4:05
- "L'aigle ne chasse pas les mouches" – 3:12 -co-Produced by Kurser/ Fabrice
- "Hiphopaloorap" (feat. Don Xeré Delavega) – 1:45
- "Le Cinquième As" – 3:48 -Produced by Kurser/ Fabrice
- "Playmate" – 3:02
- "L'homme qui voulait 3 milliards" (feat. Bambi Cruz) – 3:03
- "Si je meurs ce soir" (feat. Black Jack) – 3:59
- "Samedi Soir" (hidden track) – 2:21
|France (SNEP)||2× Platinum||600,000*|
|Switzerland (IFPI Switzerland)||Gold||20,000^|
* Sales figures based on certification alone.
- Allmusic review
- Album Review
- French rapper's new CD a bit mainstream - Features Archived 2009-08-19 at the Wayback Machine
- Helenon, Veronique. “Africa on Their Mind: Rap, Blackness, and Citizenship in France.” In The Vinyl Ain’t Final: Hip Hop and the Globalization of Black Popular Culture, ed. by Dipannita Basu and Sidney J. Lemelle, 151-66. London; Ann Arbor, MI: Pluto Pres
- "Ultratop.be – MC Solaar – Cinquième as" (in French). Hung Medien. Retrieved 26 September 2020.
- "Lescharts.com – MC Solaar – Cinquième as". Hung Medien. Retrieved 26 September 2020.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – MC Solaar – Cinquième as" (in German). GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved 26 September 2020.
- "Swisscharts.com – MC Solaar – Cinquième as". Hung Medien. Retrieved 26 September 2020.
- "Rapports Annuels 2001". Ultratop. Retrieved 26 September 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Top de l'année Top Albums 2001" (in French). SNEP. Retrieved 26 September 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Schweizer Jahreshitparade 2001". hitparade.ch. Retrieved 26 September 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Top de l'année Top Albums 2002" (in French). SNEP. Retrieved 26 September 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Ultratop − Goud en Platina – albums 2001". Ultratop. Hung Medien.
- "French album certifications – MC Solaar – Cinquième As" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. Retrieved 4 February 2019.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (MC Solaar)". IFPI Switzerland. Hung Medien. Retrieved 4 February 2019.