Circle (TV series)
|Hangul||써클: 이어진 두 세계|
|Created by||Lee Myung-han|
|Directed by||Min Jin-ki|
|Theme music composer||1601|
|Ending theme||"Alive" by UJi feat. Andup|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||12|
|Executive producer(s)||Park Sung-jae|
|Camera setup||Single-camera setup|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)|
|Audio format||Dolby Digital|
|Original release||May 22 –|
June 27, 2017
Circle (Hangul: 써클: 이어진 두 세계; RR: Sseokeul: i-eojin du segye; lit. Circle: Two Worlds Connected) is a South Korean science fiction television series starring Yeo Jin-goo, Kim Kang-woo, Gong Seung-yeon, and Lee Gi-kwang. The series features two parallel plots separated by twenty years, both centered on a twin brothers' struggle with the discovery and development of an advanced alien technology that can either be the boon or bane for the entire humanity.
- 1 Synopsis
- 2 Cast
- 3 Original soundtrack
- 4 Ratings
- 5 International broadcast
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Circle is a sci-fi-mystery-dystopian television series that takes place in both the year 2017 and the year 2037. In 2007, fraternal twin brothers, Kim Woo-jin and Kim Bum-gyun, along with their father, witness the arrival of an unidentified flying object: a lone female humanoid alien (Gong Seung-yeon) materializes from the object. Out of pity and curiosity, the family brings the alien with them and adopts her like a real member of the family. The twins become fond with her, especially Woo-jin who names her Byul (Hangul: 별, "star"). But their father, neuroscientist Kim Kyu-chul then discovers Byul's secret: she had brought with her an advanced form of alien technology that can record, and even lock, memories and convert them into video. To study more and develop something out of this technology, Kyu-chul isolates himself from his family to work secretly on Byul, in a project he dubs as the Beta Project. Kyu-chul never went back home since then, making the elder twin Bum-gyun think Byul has taken their father captive, though Woo-jin believes their father has abandoned them.
In 2017, Kim Woo-jin (Yeo Jin-goo), now a college student in neuroscience, notices that a series of suicides in his university is somehow linked to his brother, Kim Bum-gyun (An Woo-yeon), who is already in a mad search for aliens, especially for Byul. While in pursuit of the case, he meets Han Jung-yeon (Gong Seung-yeon), a computer science student who, to his shock, looks very much like Byul. She is also investigating the serial suicides, all of which she thinks are actually murder.
In 2037, South Korea is now divided into General District (Hangul: 일반지구, RR: Ilbanjigu), a heavily polluted place where crimes are rampant, and Smart City (Hangul: 스마트지구, RR: Seumateujigu), a clean, peaceful, and crime-free city. Kim Joon-hyuk (Kim Kang-woo) is a crime detective who tries to get into Smart City to investigate a case of twin brothers who went missing in 2017. In doing so, he discovers the horrible truth lurking behind Smart City being “crime-free.”
Each episode of Circle, except the last, contains two parts: the first part is set in 2017, titled Beta Project (Hangul: Beta 프로젝트; RR: Beta peurojekteu), while the second part is set in 2037, called A Great New World (Hangul: 멋진 신세계; RR: Meotjin sinsegye). The twelfth and last episode contains the concluding part of the series, entitled One World (Hangul: 하나의 세겨, RR: Hana-ui segye).
- In Beta Project, he is a 21-year-old second-year university student in the Department of Neuroscience in Handam University of Science and Technology in the year 2017. He is the younger twin of Kim Bum-gyun, and the son of neuroscientist Kim Kyu-chul. He was once an enthusiast about UFOs and extraterrestrial life; he witnessed (with Bum-gyun and Kyu-chul) a female alien arrive on Earth and gave the alien her name Byul. His passion faded when his father left with Byul and never came back. In 2017, he meets Byul (now Han Jung-yeon) once again and together they investigate the serial suicides in the university, with the help of Detective Hong Jin-hong. He will be cloned as Circulate 3 in latter episodes, appearing in both Beta Project and A Great New World.
- Kim Kang-woo as Kim Joon-hyuk (born Kim Bum-gyun)
- An Woo-yeon as 21-year-old Kim Bum-gyun
- Kim Ye-joon as young Bum-gyun
- In A Great New World, he is a 41-year-old violent crimes detective from General District in the year 2037. He enters Smart City to investigate cases happening within the supposedly "crime-free" city, with the help of Detective Hong Jin-hong and the alien hacker Jung-yeon a.k.a. Bluebird. He is Kim Woo-jin's older twin brother, and the son of neuroscientist Kim Kyu-chul. Thirty years before, in 2007 (in Beta Project), he was an aspiring pâtissier who had no interest in UFOs or aliens. But after being abandoned by their father, he became preoccupied with aliens and kept on hunting down Byul, whom he thinks had abducted their father. In 2017, he investigated the series of suicide in Handam University of Science and Technology which he thought was brought about by aliens. He loses his memories later on and, in consequence, Detective Hong Jin-hong gives him his new name Kim Joon-hyuk and makes him enter the police force.
- In Beta Project, she is a humanoid alien who came from unknown celestial body. She arrives on Earth in 2007 and appears to the twins Woo-jin and Bum-gyun and their father, naked and with no knowledge of any human language. She becomes close to Woo-jin who names her Byul, and she steadily learns how to speak Korean. She is a semi-immortal being, i.e. she never ages and will look the same as long as she lives. She had brought with her an advanced form of alien technology that can record, and even lock, memories and convert them into video. She was taken advantage for scientific research by the twins' neuroscientist father and was separated from the twins since then. She lost her memories a year later and is adopted by Professor Han Yong-woo who named her Han Jung-yeon. She began studying computer science in Handam University of Science and Technology. She became classmates with Woo-jin in 2017, and together they investigate a series of suicides in the university. In 2037 (in A Great New World), she becomes a hacker under the codename Bluebird, based from Maurice Maeterlinck's L'oiseau bleu.
- In A Great New World, he is an intelligent 26-year-old government employee in Smart City in the year 2037. He is unbelieving at first on the possibility of criminality in Smart City and would side with the government. He is tasked to keep watch on Joon-hyuk who is investigating cases in the "crime-free" city. Upon learning the truth from Joon-hyuk, he becomes confused, but later on he sides with Joon-hyuk and Bluebird to take down the unjust powers controlling Smart City.
Part 1: Beta Project
People around Woo-jin
- Jung In-sun as Park Min-young
- a 21-year-old medical student who fell in love with Bum-gyun in 2017. She helped Bum-gyun, Woo-jin, Jung-yeon, and Detective Hong Jin-hong in investigating the serial suicides in the university.
- Seo Hyun-chul as Detective Hong Jin-hong
- He is a police detective who began investigating the serial suicides in Handam University of Science and Technology, along with Woo-jin, Jung-yeon, and Min-young. He becomes suspended due to his involvement with the case.
- Kim Joong-ki as Dr. Kim Kyu-chul
- He is the father of the twins Kim Woo-jin and Kim Bum-gyun (Kim Joo-huk). He is a neuroscientist specializing in treating trauma, working together with fellow neuroscientist Han Yong-woo, taking advantage of Byul's special memory-controlling technology.
- Shin Dam-soo as Detective Choi
- Detective Hong's junior who is working for another boss
Handam University people
- He is a professor and the dean of the Department of Neuroscience in Handam University of Science and Technology. He once worked together with Dr. Kim Kyu-chul in treating traumas using Byul's special technology. He became Byul's father a year after she came on Earth.
- Han Sang-jin as Park Dong-gun
- an associate professor of the Department of Neuroscience in Handam University of Science and Technology
- Shin Joo-hwan as Lee Hyun-suk
- a third-year student and research assistant in the Department of Neuroscience in Handam University of Science and Technology.
Part 2: A Great New World
General District people
- Kim Min-kyung as Dr. Park Min-young
- In 2037, she has become a skilled doctor and Joon-hyuk/Bum-gyun's girlfriend. She would always help him during investigations, especially in times when her expertise is needed.
- Seo Hyun-chul as Detective Hong Jin-hong
- He is reinstated in the police force as a member of the cybercrimes unit. In 2037, he helps Joon-hyuk in his investigations in Smart City.
- a skilled hacker whom Joon-hyuk usually enlists during investigations. He was Woo-jin's former tutee.
- Kwon Hyuk-soo as Detective Oh
Smart City people
- Min Sung-Wook as Lee Hyun-suk
- In 2037, he is now an employee in Human B
- Han Sang-jin as Park Dong-gun
- In 2037, he becomes the South Korea's Minister of Science and Economy
- Nam Myung-ryul as Yoon Hak-joo
- Mayor of Smart City
- Cha Myung-wook as Park Jin-gyu
- Jeon Suk-kyung (Voice)
- Kang Chung-hoon (Voice)
- Ryu Eun-ji (Voice)
- Park Young-jae (Voice)
- Park Ji-ah as Woman Waiting for Bus (Ep. 1, Part 2)
- Park Eun-ji
- Jo-hyun as Announcer in A Great New World (Ep. 1)
- Jang Ji-woo as Smart City Security Agent (Ep. 1, Part 2)
- Jang Joo-hee
- Kim Sa-hee as Doctor in Smart City
- Choi Sung-jae as Humans B Central Control Room Agent
- Kim Ji-sung as Kim Nan-hee
- Tae-ha as Choi Soo-bin (Ep. 3 and 7, Part 2)
- Lee Ho-soo's deceased girlfriend.
- Ha Yoon-seo as Kang So-yoon
- Noh Haeng-ha
|Soundtrack album by |
|1.||"Walk With Me" (같이 걸을까)||Lee Juck||Kwak Jin-eon||03:11|
|2.||"Walk With Me" (Inst.)||03:11|
|1.||"Alive"||1601||UJi (Bestie) feat. Andup||02:59|
In the table below, the blue numbers represent the lowest ratings and the red numbers represent the highest.
|Ep.||Broadcast date||Average audience share|
|1||May 22, 2017||2.883%||3.771%||2.7%|
|2||May 23, 2017||2.337%||3.116%||2.1%|
|3||May 29, 2017||2.133%||2.646%||2.2%|
|4||May 30, 2017||2.250%||2.735%||2.3%|
|5||June 5, 2017||1.702%||2.104%||2.0%|
|6||June 6, 2017||2.188%||2.688%||2.6%|
|7||June 12, 2017||2.053%||2.309%||2.0%|
|8||June 13, 2017||1.866%||1.972%||2.2%|
|9||June 19, 2017||1.587%||1.986%||2.1%|
|10||June 20, 2017||1.820%||2.175%||2.0%|
|11||June 26, 2017||2.160%||2.812%||1.9%|
|12||June 27, 2017||2.455%||2.776%||2.2%|
- This drama aired on a cable channel/pay TV which normally has a relatively smaller audience compared to free-to-air TV/public broadcasters (KBS, SBS, MBC & EBS).
- "Circle 여진구x김강우! tvN 최초 SF추적극 써클 이어진 두 세계 170414 EP.1". YouTube (in Korean). tvN Drama via Youtube. 2017-04-14. Retrieved July 19, 2017.
- "tvN이 새롭게 선보이는 SF 추적극 <써클>이 여진구, 김강우로 남주인공 캐스팅을 확정 짓고 본격적인 제작에 돌입한다". imBC. 2017-03-03.
- "Yeo Jin-goo, Kim Kang-woo to star in tvN's new drama 'Circle'". The Korea Herald. 2017-03-03.
- "Alien sci-fi drama 'Circle' enjoys fandom". The Korea Times. June 18, 2017.
- "[단독] 공승연, tvN '써클' 여주인공 확정..김강우·여진구와 호흡". Naver. 2017-03-02.
- "[단독] 이기광, tvN '써클' 합류…하이라이트 후 첫 드라마". Naver. 2017-03-03.
- "송영규 '써클: 이어진 두 세계' 출연…여진구·김강우와 호흡". news.chosun.com. Retrieved 2017-05-15.
- "AGB Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". AGB Nielsen Media Research (in Korean). Retrieved 2017-05-15.
- ": TNMS 홈페이지에 오신 것을 환영합니다. :". www.tnms.tv. Retrieved 2017-05-15.