Playhouse on the Square
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
66 South Cooper Street|
|Owner||Circuit Playhouse Inc.|
Playhouse on the Square is a regional theatre company located in Memphis, Tennessee. It is owned by Circuit Playhouse, Inc., which operates two other Memphis theaters. While it has its own resident company of professional actors, auditions are still frequently open to the public. The theater has 347 seats on two levels, an orchestra and balcony with boxes, as well as a rooftop terrace, which is open during shows and rented out for private events.
Since its founding, Circuit Playhouse, Inc. has acquired multiple theaters in Memphis.
In January 2010, architect John Morris designed a new building for Playhouse on the Square, located at 66 S. Cooper St., just across from the previous (now The Circuit Playhouse) theater. The new building, which cost 12.5 million dollars and includes a 340-seat theater and rehearsal space  is connected to an office building which houses various internal theater projects, as well as headquarters for nonprofit arts organizations such as Project Green Fork, Indie Memphis, and others. Indie Memphis also uses the theater at Playhouse on the Square for its yearly film festival. The money to create the theater was raised through a series of campaigns, the most notable of which was the "Breaking New Ground" capital campaign, which raised most of the money needed to build the new theater.
The Circuit Playhouse
The Circuit Playhouse is a 218-seat theater located at 51 S. Cooper St., mainly used for smaller productions.
TheatreWorks is a building one block west of The Circuit Playhouse originally built to house a variety of small performance groups unable to afford quarters of their own. Now, it serves as "a non-profit tax exempt organization committed to providing and managing low cost office, rehearsal, and performance space for emerging artists and performing arts groups who share the facilities." There are now two buildings under its operation: the original building at 2085 Monroe Ave., and The Evergreen Theatre at 1705 Poplar Ave. (former location of The Circuit Playhouse).
Programs & Outreach
Circuit Playhouse, Inc. maintains several education and outreach programs. The Circuit Playhouse is also home to the Summer Youth Theatre Conservatory, a summer program for children who are interested in learning more about the career of acting.
- "Mission / History | Playhouse on the Square | Memphis' Professional Resident Theatre Company". Playhouse on the Square. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- Sparks, Jon W. "Review: Playhouse kicks off season with an audience pleaser". The Commercial Appeal. Retrieved 2012-08-28.
- "Playhouse on the Square, Breaking New Ground". Playhouseonthesquare.org. Archived from the original on 2008-05-09. Retrieved 2012-08-18.
- Blank, Christopher. "Curtain rises at new Playhouse on the Square building". The Commercial Appeal. Retrieved 2012-08-18.
- "Improving Playhouse". Memphis Daily News. Retrieved 2012-08-28.
- Blank, Christopher. "Circuit Playhouse rakes in the honors at the Ostrander Awards". The Commercial Appeal. Retrieved 2012-08-28.
- "Welcome to TheatreWorks". TheatreWorks. Retrieved 2014-02-20.
- "Summer Youth Theatre Conservatory | Playhouse on the Square | Playhouse on the Square | CLASSES + WORKSHOPS". ArtsMemphis.org. Archived from the original on April 18, 2011. Retrieved 2012-08-18.