Circular Quay ferry wharf
||This article needs to be updated. (September 2015)|
|Location||Alfred Street, Sydney central business district|
|Owned by||Roads & Maritime Services|
|Operated by||Harbour City Ferries|
|Platforms||5 wharves (10 berths)|
The Circular Quay ferry wharf complex consists of five double sided wharves at 90 degrees to the shoreline, numbered 2 to 6. Wharves 2 to 5 are used exclusively by Sydney Ferries, while wharf 6 is used by operators including Captain Cook Cruises and Manly Fast Ferries. Each wharf has ticket selling facilities on both sides of the barriers as most other wharves do not have such facilities.
On the eastern side alongside Bennelong Apartments, is the Eastern Pontoon used by charter operators. On the western side, lie the Commissioners Steps and Harbour Masters Steps that are used by charter operators and water taxis.
When the Port Jackson & Manly Steamship Company introduced hydrofoils to the Manly service in the mid-1960s, a pontoon was attached to the eastern side of wharf 2 to allow the hydrofoils to berth without their foils fouling the wharf. This was removed when the hydrofoils were replaced by JetCats in 1991.
Wharf 3 is exclusively used by ferries on the Manly service. When the Freshwater class ferries were introduced in the 1980s, the wharf was rebuilt to accommodate their onboard gangways. It has a mezzanine level allowing ferries to disembark passengers from their upper decks. It also houses an office for Harbour City Ferries. To better accommodate the larger ferries, wharf 3 is built higher from the water and this combined with differently configured Opal card readers, means only Manly ferries can use the wharf.
Wharves 2, 3, 4 and 5 are used interchangeably by Sydney Ferries.
|6||Lane Cove River|||
|Manly Fast Ferry||
|Sydney Harbour Eco Hopper||Tourist Hop on/Hop off service around Sydney Harbour|||
Public transport interchange
The Circular Quay ferry wharf complex is adjacent to an elevated railway station of the same name. The station is served by Sydney Trains services on the Airport, Inner West & South Line and the Bankstown Line.
- "F2: Taronga Zoo and F6: Mosman Bay ferry timetable" (PDF). Sydney Ferries. 20 October 2013.
- "F1: Manly ferry timetable" (PDF). Sydney Ferries. 20 October 2013.
- "F5; Neutral Bay ferry timetable" (PDF). Sydney Ferries. 20 October 2013.
- "F7: Eastern Suburbs timetable" (PDF). Sydney Ferries. 20 October 2013.
- "F3: Parramatta River Ferry timetable" (PDF). Sydney Ferries. 20 October 2013.
- "F4: Darling Harbour ferry timetable" (PDF). Sydney Ferries. 20 October 2013.
- "Lane Cove Ferry timetable" (PDF). Captain Cook Cruises. 18 September 2014.
- "Harbour Explorer timetable" (PDF). Captain Cook Cruises. 14 May 2015.
- "Watsons Bay Rocket timetable" (PDF). Captain Cook Cruises. 7 April 2015.
- "Manly Fast Ferry timetable". Many Fast Ferry. 1 April 2015 [Amended 21 April 2015].
- "Eco Hopper Timetable". Bass & Flinders. 5 April 2015.
Media related to Circular Quay ferry wharf at Wikimedia Commons