This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Japanese arcade flyer of Circus Charlie.
|Designer(s)||Matthew Barnard|
Commodore 64, MSX, Sega SG-1000, ColecoVision, NES
|Mode(s)||1-2 players alternating|
Circus Charlie (サーカスチャーリー Sākasu Chārī) is an arcade platform game originally published by Konami in 1984 in which the player controls a clown named Charlie. It was released for MSX in the same year, followed by ports to the Nintendo Famicom in 1986 by Soft Pro and the Commodore 64 in 1987. It was released along with other Konami classic games on the Nintendo DS compilation Konami Classics Series: Arcade Hits.
In the game there are six regular stages (plus an extra stage) of differing tasks that are to be completed by Charlie. Grabbing money bags, performing dangerous tricks, avoiding enemies, completing stages, etc., earns Charlie points. After the sixth stage is completed, the game starts over again but with a faster pace and more difficult (but exactly the same in terms of task to be completed) levels.
Charlie also races against time. Bonus points are awarded according to the time remaining, but running out of time will cost the player a life.
In the "Level Select" version of the game, the player can choose any of the stages to play, but only a limited number of times each, whereupon the level will become unselectable. There is no "ending" to the game—after the first five levels have each been played to their limit, the player then repeats the trapeze stage until all their lives are exhausted.
In the Famicom version, the trampoline stage is omitted, but it has a "B" mode, in which all the levels are repeated with added difficulty. The game often shows up on Famicom clone systems and multicarts, usually with its title screen altered to remove copyright, some versions also have the levels split up to make up separate games in multicarts.
The standard Arcade version has 6 levels in total. Levels 1, 2, 4 and 5 have 5 sublevels. Level 3 contains 7 sublevels. Each sublevel gets more difficult. Level 6 also has 5 sublevels, but repeats as long the user has lives.
- Level 1: ride on a lion and jump through flaming rings
- Level 2: tightrope walking whilst jumping over monkeys
- Level 3: Jump between trampolines and beware the knife throwers and fire breathers. In sublevel 3 and 6 the trampolines are placed in a swimming pool and the knife throwers and fire breathers are replaced by jumping dolphins.
- Level 4: Jump from ball to ball
- Level 5: Ride a horse and jump over trampolines and walls
- Level 6: trapeze
- Circus Charlie is one of the video games that were adapted into a manga titled Susume!! Seigaku Dennou Kenkyuubu (進め！！静学電脳研究部 Shiawase no katachi), published in the Gamest comics collection from April 1999, drawn by Kouta Hirano.
- Charlie from Circus Charlie has a cameo appearance in the panel Seinen manga Konami 4Koma Manga Wai Wai World which is part of the Famicom Runners High.