left to right: Tim Tobias, Robert Pollard, Todd Tobias
|Labels||Happy Jack Rock Records|
|Associated acts||Robert Pollard|
Psycho and the Birds
Clouds Forming Crowns
Circus Devils is an American psychedelic rock band founded in 2001 by Robert Pollard, best known as the lead singer and songwriter of the Dayton, Ohio, band Guided by Voices. The band consists of Pollard (vocals and lyrics), Todd Tobias (music and production), and Tim Tobias (music).
Circus Devils employs a wide spectrum of musical styles ranging from acid rock to ambient soundscapes. On the band's web site, the music is described as "garage-prog, or "art rock made by cave men."
Circus Devils was originally conceived in 2001 as a side project to Robert Pollard's main work with Guided by Voices. As of 2015, the band has released thirteen full-length albums. Beginning with the release of their first album, Ringworm Interiors, Circus Devils dismissed the styles of Pollard's other musical endeavors for a more experimental approach, taking an ominous and nightmarish tone, exploring the themes of good and evil. According to the group's whimsical website bio, Circus Devils formed because a dog-faced man approached each member on separate occasions to deliver the message, "Circus Devils is Real."  Like this story, their lyrics are often unsettling fictional tales of horror delivered within deconstructed rock operas. Each Circus Devils album is distinguished by a theme, concept, or production style which sets it apart from the band's other albums.
In 2016, they announced that their next record would be their final, titled "Laughs Last".
- Ringworm Interiors (2001)
- The Harold Pig Memorial (2002)
- Pinball Mars (2004)
- Five (2005)
- Sgt. Disco (2007)
- Ataxia (2008)
- Gringo (2009)
- Mother Skinny (2010)
- Capsized! (2011)
- When Machines Attack (2013)
- My Mind Has Seen the White Trick (2013)
- Escape (2014)
- Stomping Grounds (2015)
- Laughs Last (2017)
- Circus Devils - Ringworm Interiors - Album Review at ALLMUSIC by Bart Bealmear
- Circus Devils - The Harold Pig Memorial - Album Review at ALLMUSIC by Karen E. Graves
- Circus Devils - Pinball Mars - Album Review at ALLMUSIC by Bart Bealmear
- Circus Devils - Sgt. Disco - Album Review at PITCHFORK by Adam Moerder (12 September, 2007)
- Circus Devils - ATAXIA - Album Review at Indieville (27 October, 2008)
- Circus Devils - Gringo - Album Review at ERASING CLOUDS by Dave Heaton (30 March, 2009)
- Circus Devils - Mother Skinny - Album Review at POPMATTERS by Matthew Fiander (1 April, 2010)
- Circus Devils - Capsized! - Album Review at POPMATTERS