Guerra in 2011
6 February 1981 |
Río de Oro, Colombia
Ciro Guerra (born 6 February 1981) is a Colombian film director and screenwriter. He made his first film Wandering Shadows in 2004 at the age of 23. The film was selected as Colombian submission for Best Foreign Language Film at the 78th Academy Awards, however it was not nominated. His next film The Wind Journeys competed in the Un Certain Regard section at the 2009 Cannes Film Festival and was selected as Colombian submission for Best Foreign Language Film at the 82nd Academy Awards; it also was not selected.
His 2015 film Embrace of the Serpent was screened in the Directors' Fortnight section at the 2015 Cannes Film Festival, where it won the C.I.C.A.E. Award. It won the Best Film award in the International Film Festivals of Odessa and Lima, where it also received a special prize by the Critics Jury. The film was also among the nominees for Best Foreign Language Film at the 88th Academy Awards, being the first Colombian film ever to be nominated.
Guerra will make his Hollywood debut directing an adaptation of the dystopian adventure book The Detainee by Peter Liney, which will be written by Grant Myers. Guerra has revealed that his next film will shoot in 2017, in La Guajira Desert, stating that it is "like a gangster film, but something completely different from any gangster film that you have ever seen."
|1999||Documental siniestro: Jairo Pinilla, cineasta||Yes||Documentary.|
|2001||Intento||Yes||Yes||Animated short film.|
|2009||The Wind Journeys||Yes||Yes|
|2015||Embrace of the Serpent||Yes||Yes||Nominated for Best Foreign Language Film at the Academy Awards.|
- "Festival de Cannes: The Wind Journeys". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 17 May 2009.
- "The Directors' Fortnight 2015 selection!". Quinzaine des Réalisateurs. Retrieved 21 April 2015.
- Justin Chang (21 April 2015). "Cannes: Directors' Fortnight Unveils 2015 Lineup". Variety. Retrieved 21 April 2015.
- Ford, Rebecca (14 January 2016). "Oscar Nominations: The Complete List". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 14 January 2016.
- Fleming Jr., Mike (February 22, 2016). "Oscar Nominated For Colombian Pic 'Serpent', Ciro Guerra Makes First Hollywood Deal To Direct 'The Detainee'". Deadline. Retrieved March 11, 2016.
- "Ciro Guerra Interview - Embrace of the Serpent; director reveals his next movie will be 'like a gangster film'". Flickreel. 10 June 2016. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
|This article about a Colombian film director is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a screenwriter is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|