Cirque de Celebrité
|Cirque de Celebrité|
|Presented by||Ruby Wax (2006)
Jenni Falconer (2007)
Brian Dowling (spin-off)
Ann Dorwin (2006)
Gaby Roslin (2007)
Syed Ahmed (guest judge, 2006)
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||2|
|No. of episodes||20|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Original network||Sky One|
|Original release||15 October 2006– 9 December 2007|
|Related shows||Cirque: Backstage at the Big Top
Celebrity Circus (Australia)
Celebrity Circus (U.S.)
Cirque de Celebrité was a celebrity reality TV show broadcast on Sky One. The show features celebrities training for and then performing various circus acts. The winner of the 2006 series was Grace Adams-Short.
A second series of Cirque de Celebrité broadcast in 2007, with Jenni Falconer replacing Ruby Wax as host. Big Brother winner Brian Dowling hosted a spin-off show, Cirque: Backstage at the Big Top. The winner of the 2007 series was Kyal Marsh.
The first series was hosted by Ruby Wax. The three judges for the first series were professional performers Louie Spence, Ann Dorwin, and circus director, Phillip Gandey. Gaby Roslin replaced Ann Dorwin for the second series.
The celebrities were trained to perform various circus acts, and compete with each other for points from the judges and phone votes from the public on premium rated lines. The acts were interspersed with compère banter and video from the training sessions and interviews. The two scores were combined, 50% judges vote and 50% phone votes, and the two lowest scoring participants were candidates for expulsion.
According to the Sky One website, the judges nominated one of the saved celebrities to eliminate one of the two contestants at the bottom of the scoreboard. In the first two weeks only, reference was made to the highest scoring celebrity choosing between the two.
Cirque de Celebrité 1 was watched by a peak of 817,000 viewers. However, Cirque de Celebrité 2 averaged considerably less - peaking at around 400,000 viewers.
The line up of celebrities in series 1 were:
|Mark Bright||Former England footballer||Eliminated on week 1|
|Syed Ahmed||The Apprentice contestant||Eliminated on week 2|
|Sinitta||Singer & The X Factor mentor||Eliminated on week 3|
|Nicola Wheeler||Emmerdale actress||Eliminated on week 5|
|Sophie Anderton||Glamour model||Withdrew due to injury|
|Ninia Benjamin||Comedian||Eliminated on week 6|
|Lee MacDonald||Grange Hill actor||Week 4, returned to replace Sophie, Eliminated Week 7|
|Jamie Baulch||Former Olympic sprinter||Eliminated on week 8|
|Andy Kane||Changing Rooms presenter||Eliminated on week 9|
|Kenzie||Blazin' Squad & Friday Hill rapper||Final week (3rd)|
|Emma B||Model||Final week (2nd)|
|Grace Adams-Short||Big Brother 2006 contestant||Final week (Winner)|
- Simon Cowell (X Factor judge), supporting ex-girlfriend Sinitta.
- Carol Smillie (Changing Rooms presenter), supporting Andy Kane.
- Mikey Dalton (Big Brother 2006 contestant), supporting his fiancée, Grace Adams-Short.
|10 (The Final)||Grace||Emma||Kenzie||4|
- The celebrity was voted off after being in the bottom two.
- The other celebrity in the bottom two.
- The celebrity chosen to decide who is eliminated.
- The celebrity who won.
- ^1 In Week 4, Syed Ahmed was guest judge replacing Louie Spence.
- ^2 After the departure of Sophie Anderton in week 6 due to injury, Lee McDonald was reintroduced with immunity from eviction.
- ^3 In Week 7, Ninia Benjamin was re-introduced into the show as "Kenzie's personal trainer." She also took part in the group performance and accompanied contestants off stage after each of their performances.
- ^4 In the final week Grace broke her foot, however, she still took part and performed in the show. Grace went on to win the show with 70% of the audience vote, with Emma B and Kenzie finishing in second and third place respectively.
- The name of the show is grammatically incorrect French for Celebrity Circus - the actual French would be Cirque de Célébrité.
- The first celebrity voted out was Mark Bright, who was reportedly furious over the decision.
For the second series, GMTV host Jenni Falconer replaced Ruby Wax as the ring mistress. Gaby Roslin also replaced Ann Dorwin on the judging panel, alongside Phillip and Louie. That year up until week 6, the judges did not give the contestants scores for their performances. That year two new celebrities joined the circus over halfway into the show. Liam McGough, an ex-Big Brother housemate, and Rebecca Loos joined the show in week 6, due to Shane Lynch quitting after injury. They both performed on November 11, 2007 and the public voted to see which one they would like to see back as an official contestant the following week. Liam was chosen to stay in the competition and Rebecca was sent home, however Liam was voted off in the same episode.
- The judges did not give the contestants scores for their performances.
- Luke - 27
- Isabella - 26
- Antonia - 21
- Stacey - 19
- Kyal - 18
- Dean - 16
- Kyal - 30
- Stacey - 25
- Antonia - 23
- Isabella - 20
- Luke - 19
- Liam - 16
- Kyal - 57
- Stacey - 45
- Antonia - 43
- Luke - 42
- Isabella - 28
- Kyal - 55
- Stacey - 46
- Luke - 46
- Antonia - 36
Week 10 (Finals):
- Stacey - 57
- Kyal - 57
- Luke - 53
The line up of celebrities in series 2 were follows:
|Dwain Chambers||Former Olympic track sprinter||Eliminated on week 2|
|Hannah Waterman||EastEnders actress||Eliminated on week 3|
|Tamara Czartoryska||Model & reality television star||Eliminated on week 4|
|Emily Scott||Swimsuit model||Eliminated on week 4|
|Ritchie Neville||Former Five singer||Eliminated on week 5|
|Shane Lynch||Boyzone singer||Withdrew due to injury|
|Dean Holdsworth||Professional footballer||Eliminated on week 6|
|Liam McGough||Big Brother contestant||Eliminated on week 7|
|Lady Isabella Hervey||Model & socialite||Eliminated on week 8|
|Antonia Okonma||Bad Girls actress||Eliminated on Week 9|
|Luke Bailey||Casualty actor||Final week - 3rd|
|Stacey Cadman||Actress & television presenter||Final week - 2nd|
|Kyal Marsh||Neighbours actor & model||Final week - Winner|
|10 (The Final)||Kyal||Stacey||Luke||None|
- The Celebrity was voted off after being in the bottom two.
- The Celebrity in the bottom two that the judges decided to save.
- The Celebrity withdrew from the competition due to injury.
- The Celebrity that won.
- ^1 Dean was voted off the show in Week 1. However, Sky confirmed that there was an error with the voting and Dean was invited back to Cirque de Celebrité.
- ^2 Ritchie Neville was not able to take part this week because of an injury he got in training.
- ^3 This week was a double elimination week, with two contestants being eliminated.
- ^4 Shane Lynch was not able to take part this week because of an injury he got in training.
- ^5 Shane Lynch withdrew from the competition due to injury
- ^6 Liam had entered the circus to replace Shane Lynch
|Series||Start date||End date||Episodes|
|1||15 October 2006||17 December 2006||10|
|2||7 October 2007||9 December 2007||10|