The Cisco Cius is a business-oriented, Android-based tablet computer from Cisco Systems. The device, which was touted as an "enterprise tablet", was described as a mobile collaboration device that is bundled with Cisco's collaboration and applications suite and was targeted at the mobile workforce. It was used together with a media dock that was sold separately.
Cius was announced on June 29 at Cisco Live 2010. Upon launch, it was reported that the device was not directly competing in the tablet market since it is aimed at organizations particularly those large enterprises that employ scattered workforce. Additionally, the device was also marketed to companies that are developing Android-based app infrastructure as well as healthcare organizations due to its videoconferencing features. In a demonstration, for instance, Cius was used in a live videoconferencing transmission from a submarine in the Aegean Sea.
Cisco also collaborated with AT&T, which first sold the device, in an initiative to facilitate app development for Cius in partnership with third party developers. Verizon also offered the device to its customers.
- Intel Atom 1.6 GHz processor with 1 GB RAM and 32 GB eMMC flash memory
- Android 2.2 (Froyo) operating system
- 7” high-resolution touchscreen
- 720p HD video
- Front and rear cameras
- 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi, 4G data, and Bluetooth
- Micro SD slot, micro USB connector, HDMI connector, 3.5-mm stereo headphone jack
- Removable battery
There will also be an optional HD media station that will support USB, 10/100/1000 Ethernet, and a handset option. Cius initially shipped with Android 2.2, an outdated system during its launch and was chosen due to the device's high security specifications.
- PC Magazine, June 29, 2010 Cisco Tablet a reality, running on Android
- Diaz, Sam (June 29, 2010). "Meet Cisco Cius: Android tablet for workers, students. Watch out, iPad?". ZDNet. Retrieved 2019-06-15.
- Perenson, Melissa (2011-07-12). "Hands On With the Cisco Cius Tablet". PCWorld. Retrieved 2019-06-15.
- Cisco press release
- Hamblen, Matt (2010-06-29). "Cisco launches Cius tablet for business". Computerworld. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- Bort, Julie (2011-05-11). "Cisco CIUS tablet to be sold by AT&T". Network World. Retrieved 2019-06-18.
- Kozlowski, Michael (2011-07-15). "Cisco Cius Tablet to Debut with Verizon in August". Good e-Reader. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- Empowering Choice in Collaboration, Cisco Collaboration blog, May 24, 2012
- Cisco Kills Off Cius Business Tablet, PC Mag
- Cisco Cius product data sheet
- Cisco Cius product page
- Cisco Cius: Collaborate with Confidence Everywhere
- "Cisco's Cius tablet is all business - TechCentral". techcentral.co.za. September 26, 2011. Retrieved 2019-06-19.