Cisco DevNet is Cisco's developer program to help developers and IT professionals who want to write applications and develop integrations with Cisco products, platforms, and APIs. Cisco DevNet includes Cisco's products in software-defined networking, security, cloud, data center, internet of things, collaboration, and open-source software development. The DevNet site also provides learning and sandbox environments for those trying to learn coding and testing apps.
Cisco has a long history of building a developer community. Cisco began its developer initiatives in 2000 with the Architecture for Voice, Video and Integrated Devices (AVVID). At this time, most developers were focused on creating customizations for the Cisco VoIP phone systems.
At some point, the developer focus of the AVVID program grew, and Cisco launched the Cisco Technology Developer Program (CTDP). This evolved into the Cisco Developer Community (CDC) and Cisco Developer Network (CDN) in 2009. This growth extended the number of APIs used to build solutions on Cisco platforms, and included API guides, forums, downloads, and the early version of the sandbox system.
As Cisco's need to support developers grew, DevNet was launched in 2014 under leadership of Susie Wee. The new Cisco developer network contains APIs from many of Cisco's technologies, including networking, IoT, collaboration, open source, data center, and others. It also contains learning labs, a sandbox, and a community where developers can share their creations. DevNet also attends and hosts many developer events, such as hackathons and coding camps 
DevNet holds developer events around the world, including the DevNet Zone at Cisco Live.
DevNet has several components that help developers learn how to code and work with Cisco APIs.
API Guides and Documentation
Cisco DevNet supports a wide variety of technologies. For each product, individual API guides and documentation are provided. Several API types are supported, depending on the product. For example, many of the newer technologies have REST APIs, while some of the older collaboration-based products might support XML coding.
DevNet's Learning Labs provide individual labs, learning modules, and learning tracks for coders of all skill levels. Developers and students can learn coding basics. Network engineers can get more familiar with Software Defined Networking (SDN) and other networking-specific areas. Experienced coders can get more in-depth training on Cisco APIs.
Sandboxes on DevNet provide a free space where people can try out their code in a network environment. Depending on the product, some sandboxes are virtual while others utilize lab equipment.
The DevNet Creations site displays a variety of apps and code that has been developed with Cisco products in mind. The site allows developers to explore code by other developers as well as provides a platform to showcase code.
Collaboration with Apple
In June 2016, Cisco and Apple Inc. announced a partnership at the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference. This partnership was intended to build greater interoperabiility between Cisco gear and Apple iOS. Some of Cisco's supported APIs include:
- Connected Mobile Experience (CMX)
- Cisco Spark
- Cisco Instant Connect
- Cisco AVVID Partner Program. Cisco.com (2000). Retrieved on February 10, 2017.
- Cisco Developer Network Woos Third Parties. Tech Target (2009-10-5). Retrieved on February 10, 2017.
- Cisco Relaunches Developer Network. The Register (2014-07-22). Retrieved on February 10, 2017.
- Cisco Launches DevNet to Woo Software Developers. Eweek (2014-07-22). Retrieved on February 10, 2017.
- Cisco DevNet Focuses on Developers. Network Computing (2014-07-21). Retrieved on February 10, 2017.
- Introducing DevNet Create, the Developer Conference Where Applications Meet Infrastructure blogs.cisco.com (2017-02-07). Retrieved on February 10, 2017.
- Cisco Live DevNet Zone www.ciscolive.com (2017). Retrieved on February 10, 2017.
- Cisco Virtual Hackathon for Asia-Pacific www.bemyapp.com (2017). Retrieved on February 10, 2017.
- DevNet website developer.cisco.com. Retrieved on February 10, 2017.
- DevNet Learning Labs developer.cisco.com. Retrieved on February 10, 2017.
- DevNet Sandbox developer.cisco.com. Retrieved on February 10, 2017.
- DevNet Sample Code ciscodevnet.github.io. Retrieved on February 10, 2017.
- Showcase and Discover Solutions Build with Cisco APIs on DevNet Creations communities.cisco.com (2016-07-13). Retrieved on February 10, 2017.
- Apple and Cisco DevNet: What's in it for Developers communities.cisco.com (2016-06-13). Retrieved on February 10, 2017.