Cisco TelePresence, first introduced in October 2006, is a range of products developed by Cisco Systems designed to link two physically separated rooms so they resemble a single conference room regardless of location.
Cisco documented the Telepresence concept and implementation details in the book Cisco TelePresence Fundamentals, where the difference between Telepresence and the at this point in time prevalent Videoconferencing is defined as quality, simplicity, and reliability.
These were the initial products:
- CTS-3000 - Room system for 6 persons
- CTS-1000 - Room system for 2 persons
- CTMS - Multipoint collaboration network appliance that connected multiple room systems into a single conference
- CTS-Man - Management application for integration with groupware, such as Microsoft Exchange which gives the system the ability to schedule meetings
They were designed for an experience to feel as if local and remote participants are in the same room. These products offer features including up to three 1080p flat panel displays, special tables, microphones, speakers, cameras, collaboration interfaces and lighting.
In 2008 Cisco reported to have sold about 2,000 rooms, with about another 250 non-revenue (internal and philanthropic) units installed.
Later other products were developed that expanded the use-cases for smaller offices and Webex connectivity.
- The television series 24 featured Cisco Telepresence product placements.
- Season 8. Episode 8 of NCIS also featured Cisco Telepresence product placements.
- Szigeti, McMenamy, Saville, Glowacki, Cisco TelePresence Fundamentals, Cisco Press, 2009, ISBN 978-1587055935
- TelePresence Manager Information - Cisco Systems
- Cisco TelePresence System 3000 Series
- Cisco's TelePresence Meeting does video meetings in ultra-HD - Engadget
- "Customer Adoption Drives Cisco TelePresence to 500-Unit Milestone" (Press release). Cisco Systems. 2008-04-20.
- Vance, Ashlee (2009-10-01). "Cisco Buys Tandberg, a Video Conference Company". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-08-09.
- Cisco Collaboration Endpoint Overview
- Cisco Conferencing Overview