Cité de l'Architecture et du Patrimoine
The Cité de l'Architecture et du Patrimoine is a museum of architecture located in the Palais de Chaillot at 1, Place du Trocadéro, Paris, France. It is open daily except Tuesday, 1 January, 1 May and 25 December; an admission fee is charged for the permanent and temporary collections. However there is free admission to those under 18, 18-25 year olds who are EU citizens or students, primary and secondary school teachers, Paris Museum Pass holders and for everyone on the first Sunday of the month. The nearest Paris Métro stop is Trocadéro on Line 6 and Line 9.
The museum opened in 2007, combining existing and new collections. It contains about 8,000 m² of permanent exhibit space, with a further 1,830 m² for temporary exhibits, and a 1,700 m² architectural library. Its principal permanent exhibit is the Musée des Monuments Français (Museum of French Monuments), which contains three galleries:
- Galerie des Moulages - casts of French architecture from the 12th to 18th centuries.
- Galerie des Peintures Murales et des Vitraux (wall paintings and stained-glass windows), reproducing outstanding works from historic monuments.
- Galerie Moderne et Contemporaine - French and international architecture from 1850 to the present.
The museum also houses the Institut Français d'Architecture (French Institute of Architecture), which presents temporary exhibits in addition to maintaining an extensive library and archives; and the École de Chaillot (School of Chaillot), which grants post-graduate degrees in specialized aspects of architecture such as restoration of historical monuments and urban design.
Musée national des Monuments Français, part of the Cité de l'Architecture et du Patrimoine.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cité de l'Architecture et du Patrimoine.|
- Official website
- ParisInfo entry
- Cité de l'Architecture et du Patrimoine visitor information
- ParisUpdate, "Monumental Success", September 26, 2007
- Via Michelin description with photos
- Hotels Paris Rive Gauche blog with photographs