|Latest preview||Nightly, Canary|
|Platforms||Windows, macOS, Linux|
Citra is the first emulator of the Nintendo 3DS, developed by Citra Team. It is developed in the C++ programming language. Citra can run almost all homebrew games and some commercial games. Citra requires OpenGL version 3.3 or later to run. Citra's name is derived from CTR, which is the model name of the original 3DS. Citra does not work very well with older PCs and needs to be run on a 64-bit CPU.
Citra is free and open-source and is available for Windows, macOS, and Linux. Most of the development happens on GitHub, and more than 120 developers have already contributed to Citra's project on GitHub.
Citra was initially created in April 2014. The first commercial Nintendo 3DS game to be run by Citra was The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D. Citra can also run some other games, such as Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Sonic Generations.
Citra can boot Pokémon games since December 30, 2015. Since February 22, 2016, the official website of Citra has changed significantly. Citra can emulate sound since May 21, 2016, and has had a JIT compiler since September 15, 2016. As of the latest version, Pokémon Sun and Moon are fully playable, a milestone in emulator development.
- "FAQ". Citra, Nintendo 3DS Emulator. Retrieved 7 April 2017.
- "FAQ". Citra, Nintendo 3DS Emulator. Retrieved 5 February 2018.
- "citra faq". GitHub. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- "10 Best Nintendo 3Ds Emulator for android & PC [working N3Ds emulator]". 11 February 2018.
- "citra-emu/citra". GitHub.
- Staff (2016-02-23). "Citra Progress Report - 2015 P1". citra-emu.org. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- Parlock, Joe. "The first commercial 3DS game's been successfully emulated". Destructoid. Retrieved 7 April 2017.
- Orland, Kyle. "Don't look now, but 3DS emulation is becoming a thing". Ars Technica. Retrieved 7 April 2017.
- "HLE Audio Comes to Citra". Citra, Nintendo 3DS Emulator. Retrieved 8 April 2017.
- @citraemu (16 September 2016). "After much anticipation, Citra now has a JIT! Props again to @MerryMage for another massive contribution to the project!!" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Lilly, Paul (January 15, 2018). "Nintendo Switch 'Yuzu' Emulator Announced By Citra 3DS Developers". HotHardware. Retrieved 2018-01-17.