|Initial release||20 August 2015|
Citrix Cloud is a cloud-based platform for managing and deploying Citrix products and desktops and applications to end users using any type of cloud, whether public, private or hybrid, or on-premises hardware. The product supports cloud-based versions of every major Citrix product. These can be accessed together as an integrated "workspace" or independently.
Citrix Cloud enables cloud services for Citrix products XenApp, XenDesktop, XenMobile, ShareFile, and NetScaler. In addition, Citrix has developed several cloud-native services, including its Secure Browser Service.
Citrix Cloud is compatible with any device and cloud or data center and can be synced via Citrix Cloud Connector. As of May 2016, Citrix states that Microsoft Azure is its preferred cloud partner. Citrix platforms reside in Citrix Cloud, however other applications and resources may make use of other clouds and infrastructures. A company's IT department retains the ability to choose a custom combination of data centers and cloud providers. Citrix continuously updates Citrix Cloud so that users are automatically running the most current version.
As of 2015, Citrix Cloud offers four different service packages.
Citrix Workspace Cloud was announced in May 2015 at the company's industry conference, Citrix Synergy. The offering launched in August 2015 with four core services: App and Desktop Service, Lifecycle Management, Secure Documents, and Mobility. The company positioned Workspace Cloud as an alternative to XenDesktop and XenApp, the company's traditional desktop and application virtualization platforms.
The company renamed Citrix Workspace Cloud to Citrix Cloud in May 2016.r In addition, cloud services were renamed with cloud-based versions of other Citrix products. XenDesktop and XenApp Service, ShareFile, and XenMobile Service replaced Desktop and App Service, Secure Documents Service, and Mobility Service, respectively. The company also announced in 2016 that Citrix Cloud users that are Windows 10 Enterprise customers would be able to access Windows 10 images on Azure via XenDesktop without having to pay an additional license fee.
Prior to its release, Citrix Workspace Cloud was praised by desktop virtualization blogger Brian Madden for its concept and CMSWire noted that it stood out among competitors as the only product of its kind.
Following its release, TechTarget stated that the platform was "intriguing" that it "provide[s] something IT professionals have wanted for a very long time: centralized management of on-premises and cloud desktop and application workloads", but "also surprisingly expensive". A review in Computerworld suggested the hybrid nature of the product was compatible with the rising use of hybrid cloud implementations by businesses, but that Citrix would need to ensure "adequate support for critical applications and [make] sure that company policies, such as access rules, are followed properly".
- Phil Goldstein (24 May 2016). "Citrix Synergy 2016: Citrix Updates Cloud Tools, Promises to Unlock Productivity". BizTech Magazine. Retrieved 28 July 2016.
- Bridget Botelho (May 7, 2015). "Citrix Workspace Cloud to be the belle of the Synergy ball". Retrieved 15 July 2016.
- "Cloud Computing Company". Sunday, June 7, 2020
- Jeffrey Schwartz (March 24, 2016). "Citrix Launches Secure Browser Service for Virtual Web Apps". Redmond Magazine. Retrieved 28 July 2016.
- Brien Posey (April 16, 2016). "How Citrix Workspace Cloud compares to XenApp and XenDesktop". TechTarget. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- Edward Gately (May 25, 2016). "Citrix Announces New Products And Services, Picks Microsoft Azure As Preferred Cloud". Channel Partners Online. Retrieved 29 July 2016.
- Gabe Knuth (January 2016). "Pricing adjustments position Citrix Workspace Cloud for success". Retrieved 15 July 2016.
- Mike Hussy (January 2016). "Citrix Cloud Tools". Retrieved 15 July 2016.
- Keith Ward (August 20, 2015). "Citrix Unveils Workspace Cloud". Virtualization Review. Retrieved 15 July 2016.
- Jits Landedijk (February 25, 2016). "Build, connect and extend to the cloud with Citrix Workspace Cloud – Part 1". Retrieved 15 July 2016.
- Jefferey Schwartz (June 30, 2016). "Microsoft and Citrix Solidify Deep Friendship". Redmond Magazine. Retrieved 15 July 2016.
- Joe Vaccaro (May 18, 2016). "Citrix Cloud: The Delivery Fabric to Say "Yes" to Cloud". Citrix.com. Retrieved 29 July 2016.
- Brian Madden (May 11, 2014). "Why Citrix Workspace Services is the future of XenApp and XenDesktop. (And why it's awesome!)". BrianMadden.com. Retrieved 16 November 2016.
- Virginia Backaitis (May 13, 2015). "Is Citrix's Workspace Cloud All That Special?". CMSWire. Retrieved 16 November 2016.
- Gabe Knuth (December 4, 2015). "Citrix Workspace Cloud pricing is an opportunity for VMware to pounce". TechTarget. Retrieved 16 November 2016.
- Katherine Noyes (May 12, 2015). "Citrix launches Workspace Cloud with BYOD flexibility". Computerworld. Retrieved 16 November 2016.