City College Hyderabad
|Location||Hyderabad, Telangana, India|
|Campus||Urban, 16 acres (6 km²)|
|Accredited with A level by NAAC|
The Government City College is a Post-Graduate college located in Hyderabad, India. It has been conferred with autonomy by the University Grants Commission, Osmania University from 2004. It is owned and funded by the State Government of Telangana. The campus is one of the Heritage structures in Hyderabad, India.
The Nizam Mahbub Ali Khan, Asaf Jah VI of Hyderabad established the first city school in the name Madarsa Dar-ul-uloom as early as 1865, later Nizam Osman Ali Khan, Asaf Jah VII, converted it into a City High School. The school moved into the present grand building in 1921. Intermediate sections (F.A) of Osmania University with 30 students were introduced in 1921 under the supervision of the high school with Urdu as the medium of instruction. In 1929, the school was upgraded to a college and was named as City College It became a constituent college of Osmania University.
Syllabus and changes of name
Consequent to the abolition of the Intermediate course (FA) in Osmania University in 1956, the Pre-University Course (PUC) was introduced. The Bachelor of Science courses were introduced in 1962 and the institution was named as City Science College. City College was taken over by the government from Osmania University in 1965 and was renamed as Government City Science College. In 1967, B.A and B.Com courses were added and the college became Government City College.
The college offers 22 undergraduate programmes, including B.Sc, B.A., and B.Com. The college was upgraded as a Post Graduate Center with the introduction of Master of Science Programmes in Biotechnology, and Mathematics, in 2001 and 2003 respectively.
- The college has been first accredited with ‘A’ grade by NAAC in 2004. Again in 2012 Re-accredited with 'A' grade by NAAC.
- The college has been conferred with autonomy by the University Grants Commission, Osmania University and the Telangana State Government since 2014.
- The college has been introduced CBCS from the academic year 2014-15.
- The college is now upgraded to Cluster university status with the inclusion of 4 other Govt colleges (Govt Degree College for women, Begumper, IP Degree Collge, Nampally, GDC Khairatabad and GDC Hussanilayam) under the RUSA scheme.
- Central library which possesses rare books, Central Computing and Internet facilities.
- Cricket/football stadium, NCC and NSS.
- Health Centre, grievances redressal cell, career guidance cell.
- Open University centre, auditorium and Seminar Hall.
- State of the art Biotechnology lab.
Government City College, architecturally magnificent and imposing, was established in 1919 during the rule of the Nizam, Osman Ali Khan, Asaf Jah VII of erstwhile Hyderabad State. The campus is spread over 16 acres and the building is constructed on the banks of Musi River in the Indo-Islamic style facing the open ground (now Quli Qutub Shah Stadium) and the Telangana High Court is adjacent to the college. The College building has been declared as a Heritage Monument by the Government of Telangana.
- Sri S. B. Chavan
- Sri Veerendra Patil
- Marri Chenna Reddy
- "Government City College, Hyderabad (Secundrabad) | Colleges in Hyderabad (Secundrabad) Andhra Pradesh". Punjabcolleges.com. 2004-02-15. Retrieved 2012-08-21.
- Hyderabad Shaan - History of Government City College (26-04-2015). YouTube. 25 April 2015.
- "Government City College Hyderabad (Secundrabad) Telangana". punjabcolleges.com.
- "Government City College - Government City College, Hyderabad". Edu.sulekha.com. Retrieved 2012-08-21.
- ".:: Welcome to govtcitycollege.ac.in". govtcitycollege.ac.in.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to City College Hyderabad.|