City Lights (Lee Morgan album)
|Studio album by Lee Morgan|
|Recorded||August 25, 1957
Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, NJ
|Lee Morgan chronology|
City Lights is an album by jazz trumpeter Lee Morgan released on the Blue Note label in 1957 as BLP 1575 (the stereo edition was not issued for many years). It was recorded on August 25, 1957, and features performances by Morgan, Curtis Fuller, George Coleman, Ray Bryant, Paul Chambers and Art Taylor.
The Allmusic review by Scott Yanow awarded the album 4 stars, stating: "Trumpeter Lee Morgan (then 19) is in excellent form, holding his own with his impressive sidemen (trombonist Curtis Fuller, George Coleman on tenor and alto, pianist Ray Bryant, bassist Paul Chambers and drummer Art Taylor). Highlights include 'City Lights,' 'You're Mine You' and 'Just By Myself.' This fine session has been reissued as part of Lee Morgan's four-CD Mosaic box set."
- "City Lights" (Golson) - 5:46
- "Tempo de Waltz" (Golson) - 6:24
- "You're Mine You" (Green, Heyman) - 6:03
- "Just by Myself" (Golson) - 9:24
- "Kin Folks" (Gryce) - 9:42
- Recorded at Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, NJ, August 25, 1957
- Lee Morgan - trumpet
- Curtis Fuller - trombone
- George Coleman - tenor saxophone, alto saxophone
- Ray Bryant - piano
- Paul Chambers - bass
- Art Taylor - drums
- Yanow, S. Allmusic Review accessed September 27, 2011.